IRS or Solid Axle for the new Cobra

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I think it won't have "the crap IRS". If it has an IRS, it would be built from scratch, like most other sports cars, and not just a "bolt-on" IRS. I would be happy with an IRS if it was better than the one we have now, or a solid axle either way.

03CobraBro

Established Member
The S197 Chassis was built specifically for IRS. All I can say is if you guys ever want this car to be competetive on any level you better hope it has an IRS with alot of goodies attached to it. Remember as much as people outside the SVT circle do not want to think, and the Mustang enthusiests that only beleive in drag racing do not want to think, the Cobra is built for the Road Course, thus it will be configured for such.

Last edited:

L8Braker

Established Member
I read somewhere that the new Cobra will in fact have the IRS, and it will be much lighter than the units offered in the previous generation Mustangs that Saleen help engineer.

I think in the same article I read that the BMW M3 was team Mustangs goal as far as handling goes. When I read that, I thought that was an awful tall order.

SGL

Banned
L8Braker said:
I read somewhere that the new Cobra will in fact have the IRS, and it will be much lighter than the units offered in the previous generation Mustangs that Saleen help engineer.

I think in the same article I read that the BMW M3 was team Mustangs goal as far as handling goes. When I read that, I thought that was an awful tall order.

People thought the same thing when Cadillac decided to go after the BMW 5 series. They got the job done. All you need is dedication (the Big Three tend to lose focus during program development), time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwfisher

Banned
Its been announced as having an IRS. Done deal. I suppose, next, somebody will opt for an M3 or a C6 with a solid axle? You have got to be kidding!

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
jwfisher said:
Its been announced as having an IRS. Done deal. I suppose, next, somebody will opt for an M3 or a C6 with a solid axle? You have got to be kidding!

Why kidding? There are some folks here who want a solid axle for drag racing purposes. Hey, why not a drag-pack option a-la the 60's? My preference would be IRS, but, hey, I can see why someone would want solid. Different strokes for different folks...

03CobraBro

Established Member
Either way I hope it is offered IRS... The S197 chassis was designed specifically for IRS. If they dont use the setup it will have ended up a huge waste of money IMO. They could have built a chassis more designed for drag racing in mind.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I have heard the both rumor multiple times as well :shrug: Its redundant to compare anything about the 04's workings with the 05's as far as chassis and suspension though, they may as well not even be from the same company.

jwfisher

Banned
Good point... thy're taking an extremely old car that had terrible issues and trying to compare it to a new purpose-designed *modern* car. Everything changes now.

Users who are viewing this thread