IRS question

Ellik

Established Member
After swapping rear-ends, I am getting a clunking noise coming from the rear passenger side. On visual inspection, everything 'looked' fine, but this is a definate annoyance when I hit any bump or divit in the road. I reused the same springs and shocks from my old rear-end (stockers).

Also, it seems to handle a bit tighter in corners. The rear tires actually squeek a bit going around tight bends in the road where it did not do it before. Do the 03/04 rears use a larger rear swaybar than the 01's?

Any suggestions? CV joint? Springs not seated right? Alignment issue?

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Does the 03 have the spherical bushing kit in it? That would DEFINITELY make it loud and clunky. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a loose bolt somewhere maybe. Check and recheck all the bolts on that rearend just to make sure. My .02

Ellik

Established Member
Yes, all the bushings are upgraded. Guess I'll live with it then. Just seemed odd since the noise only really seems to be coming from the passenger side.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I "think" the sway bar may have been a different size as well.

Did you get an alignment after the install?

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
There's a difference between upgraded polyurethane bushings and spherical bushings. If they're the spherical bushings they're all metal and will be loud. If they're the red polyurethane bushings then something must be loose....

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
I had a noise like that. after checking all the bolts I found that the ds bolts were not torqued down correctly. Tightened them and the noise went away. Of course I first noticed a noise and realized the shop never put the larger bolts in the front IRS mounts when they installed the new bushings....bushings that were meant for the larger bolts. Check everything, you'll find it.

Users who are viewing this thread