IRS re-install help. Any tips?

Black2010

Established Member
Just finished replacing all the bushing in the IRS. That was a lot hard than I thought it would be (mainly getting the rubber ones out). I've now got the IRS under the car and am trying to jack it back into place. No matter what I do I can't seem to get things lined up though. Been at this about 10 hours now and could really use some tips if anyone has any. I've been trying to get the front bushing in so that I could pivot it up (reverse of how I removed it) to install the rear bushings. No luck. Even tried to reverse but I can't get the rear high enough without the front trying to go in.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have had mine in and out a couple of times, and have always had success doing it the way you have mustangthief , front up first , then rear.
Mine may be different , as mine is in a 91 Coupe .

RichM1983

Established Member
I had luck doing front two mounts then swing the rear up and bolt up. No real hitting required. I just a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight. Made it easy enough but still hard lol.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I was thi king a bit about my experience, and remembered that i had the wheels on when i xid mine , and used my floor jack to swing the front up , then the rear .

Black2010

Established Member
Did you open the pockets up on the car?
If you look at the link below about 3/4 the way down you will see what I am talking about
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/installation.htm

When I installed mine I attached the back / top mount then pivoted the front / bottom mounts

Appreciate the tip. I'll give that a try as I've just spent another 2 hours with no luck. Really thought this part wouldn't have been so bad.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I use 3 jacks. 1 on each front mount and one in the center rear. Normally takes a few good kicks to get the fronts popped into place. And like posted above the front pockets are bad about closing up.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Black2010

Established Member
Appreciate everyone's feedback. I got it put back in late last night. Wound up using 3 jacks and called my brother-in-law to help as I just couldn't get things lined up by myself. Expanding the mounts was the huge help as that made a big difference.

Now for the fun.... When taking the car off the jack stands I heard a pop come from the front of the car. Thought it was the suspension settling but when i tried to take the car for a test drive I hear a squeak sounds in the front (goes away with brakes) and a major wobble and clunk back in forth. Sounds like the stress of lowering the car back down was enough to break something. Gotta figure out what that is now. Must have been on it's way out anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread