Irs Support

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
Hello i got a 99 Cobra and it has the infamous cobra clunk while shifting. How can i take care of this? poly bushings? and exactly which ones and also at the same time im trying to beef up the irs to reduce wheel hop and improve traction. i would like to know if you could tell me exactly what i need to accomplish this without spending a fortune. i dont want to go crazy with it but i want to have some insurance on the irs. Thanks in advance. also car is a convertible anything i should add to the stock frame setup for added support never started to mod a vert before thanks.

Admiral Doom

Established Member
Put a 9/16 or 14mm Grade 8 bolt in the front IRS mount (the factory Lower Control Arm mount). You can order through Maximum Motorsports (Part number MMF-4)

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
These are the steps I took. First, I replaced my IRS subframe bushings with poly and used the correct 14mm bolts on the fronts (used the Steeda kit). Still a little clunk. Second, I had to drop the pumpkin to fix a leak about a year ago. When I did that, I replaced the IRS bushings with poly (and also put on a BilletFlow IRS brace as insurance). Result - no clunk. The rear IRS bushing is a very soft rubber and you can actually move it around with your hand - it's no wonder we have the "clunk."

If you want to really eliminate it, use aluminum. Since I don't road race and need to worry about the poly melting, it works fine for me. I got the Maximum Motorsports IRS bushings.

Good luck.

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
This must be the clunk I'm hearing too, I assumed it was the clutch but now I gotta check the IRS.:rollseyes....I'll put this project on my list for winter 2011/2012....It's not rough or anything but it's there and audible.

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
what are your guys input on kit's? as far as steeda's stop the hop pak? or MM's Irs Grip packages? lemme know cuz i want to upgrade a decent amount while im in there. on a side note i punched first gear in the rain out of curiosity and man o man makes me miss that solid rear lmfao. I thought i was gonna break something. But Anyways thanks for the input.

shurur

Established Member
I cobbled together an IRS upgrade package before Full Tilt Boogie Racing (FTBR) was going full tilt....~ early 2007.

first the frame..Global West competion RR frame.

1. steeda stop-the-hop kit
2. MM UCA/LCA Delrin Bushings
3. MM IRS cross brace
4. MM Diffy bushings
5. reweld IRS "torque box" ..probably not needed..

Recently I lowered the car with H&R race springs and added MM swaybar endlinks and bushings

The car is a tight DD. No complaints so far.

Having said that..I am not a road racer...but a mere DD.

I like MM products very much.

BUT..If I could do it all over again I would have gone with FTBR:

1. It is at least as good as MM for le$$.
2. It uses Delrin for subframe bushings (next best thing to haing the IRS welded to the car..which you can't actually do)
3. It uses grease fittings similar to the way GW front delrin bushing do..which certainly can't hurt.

There is a svtp post outlining in detail what steps to take to upgrade the IRS. I think it is in the terminator section. It is thorough and step by step..It is your Bible.

PS: I learned what a car should feel like from my Audi. After having driven the Audi all Winter, then jumping in the Cobra in the spring ..I immediately decided to do someting about it.

Users who are viewing this thread