IRS swap 04 Cobra to 04 Mach1

TuFFstang

Established Member
Ok, I've found a guy looking to do the swap. We are going to a strait-up swap rear for rear, exhaust, brakes, springs & shocks, sensors and ......
My question is can we just swap drive shafts ( I have an Aluminun DS)? I've read that the U-joint or pinion flang or yoke needs to be swapped. Whats the easiest way around this issue?

TuFFstang

Established Member
Well I found the answer. In order for a 04mach1 and a 04cobra to swap rears each must use an adapter u-joint Precion 448 to swap u-joints in order to match up to the flange ( that also may have to be swapped?).

67bigblock

Established Member
There have been more than a few threads about this dating back to 2004 and probably earlier. Some had pics to go with it. If you can still pull them up it will help you out.

TuFFstang

Established Member
Irs

Well did the swap.
The rear brake LINES are different on the 04 Cobra than the 04 Mach1. We chose to swap the lines over. Which lead to the rear breaks having to be bled. Still an issue with air in the lines (left lines open to long). Disconnect the suspension to free up the lines and hang them up. DO not disconnect until or if needed. If some can elaborate it may help someone later.
Be careful changing out the u-joint on the Drive Shaft. Take your time and bag the input shaft to keep it clean. Make sure the set rings are secure.
You should prep one or more days before. Remove the back seat, trunk liners, remove the Drive Shaft & replace u-joint w/448 (if time allows). Along with jacking up the car, removing the wheels.
Extra things to have on hand. A big cooler, drinks, mechanic's gloves, silicon gloves, card board boxes (to use as creepers), work lights, wooden blocks, service manual, bleeder kit(if needed),
A couple of things could have been better. Buy new bolts & nuts for the control arms and IRS cradle from FORD. Extra tools/spare Deep sockets & Box wrenches METRIC & Standard, break loose spray, A lift, double check dust cover are not touching back of rotors.

Last edited:

wallie40

Established Member
bleed the brakes at the master cylinder, and than start from the furthest point and work your way around. It is a 2 man job unless you have speed bleeders or a pump.

Congrats.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Is it drive able thus far? Tell us how it handles! :D

I'm actually considering swapping my Mach 1 solid with my Terminator IRS as well. Nice to know the specifics. Thanks!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I've got an IRS as well and I love it. Rides much better than the solid on the street. I've recently put coilovers on the front and H&R race springs/koni yellows in the rear and the handling got remarkably better. Only think I regret is being able to go balls out at the drag strip, but I don't go much.

Did my install in less than a day, it was pretty easy with a few people and plenty of tools.

TuFFstang

Established Member
It runs, drives and stops. Took about 10hrs. 4 guys, 23 beers and 1 pizza. The Mach is much more balanced now. Turns without letting off the gas pedal. Smooth over bumps and bad roads. When getting on it the rear squats down and the car pulls. Stops better know. I don't know if thats because the IRS or the fresh brake fluid. DO IT! DO IT!

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I've got an IRS as well and I love it. Rides much better than the solid on the street. I've recently put coilovers on the front and H&R race springs/koni yellows in the rear and the handling got remarkably better. Only think I regret is being able to go balls out at the drag strip, but I don't go much.

Did my install in less than a day, it was pretty easy with a few people and plenty of tools.

Tim showed me pics of your car from the Catoctin cruise ...that thing sits LOW. It looks so mean :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread