IRS swap question.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to be swapping my solid for a buddies IRS out of his 03 Cobra. My question is about brake lines. I've been under his car and know his brake lines are quite a bit different then mine. Can his brake lines be swapped onto my car and vice versa?

matt888

Established Member
Josh, I've done this swap. Some say you don't need to modify your brake lines, but I did. Your solid axle brake lines will get cut/smashed by the IRS control arms as they move up and down. You might be able to bend them around a bit, but I ended up trailering my car to a brake shop and had brand new lines ran towards the back of the vehicle and custom formed to work around the IRS. A bit of an overkill, but all the labor and materials was like $200 and at the time I didn't know anything about working brake lines. Plus, brakes aren't something you want to go half-ass on or cheap. I opted to make sure everything was done by a professional and have no regrets. I never had the oportunity to see the brake lines on the cobra I got my IRS from. Let me know if you need any other info on the swap...

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I remember you telling me that Matt but I'm going to be doing this on the weekend and can't be without my car waiting for them to make brake lines (wouldn't be open until Monday). That's why I was hoping we could just swap those also or maybe purchase some that way it could all be done at once.

I wonder if a set of braided brake lines would work? I think they are flexible all the way to the caliper correct? If so I could run them where I want without having to worry about them getting crushed.

matt888

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I remember you telling me that Matt but I'm going to be doing this on the weekend and can't be without my car waiting for them to make brake lines (wouldn't be open until Monday). That's why I was hoping we could just swap those also or maybe purchase some that way it could all be done at once.

I wonder if a set of braided brake lines would work? I think they are flexible all the way to the caliper correct? If so I could run them where I want without having to worry about them getting crushed.

Get both cars up on jackstands next to each other and see what will transfer and work/or not work ahead of time! I didn't have that opportunity because my IRS showed up on a pallet one day at the house!

Users who are viewing this thread