IRS swap to SRA questions.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
I have a guy wanting to swap my IRS with an 04 Mach 1's SRA. I know generally the parts needed to successfully do the swap, but I would really like for someone to elaborate on EVERYTHING needed. Down to the nuts, bolts, and exhaust hangers so to say. I want to receive everything as I should, as well as make sure he gets everything he needs.

Bite Me

Established Member
Only way to make sure you and he get everything is to swap it out side by side so theres no confusion as to what to trade.

But here goes nothing

What you need from him

Driveshaft (have him mark its orientation on the pinion and you do the same)
Exhaust hangers, catback, and bolts
Pinion snubber and bolts (i believe there are 3)
Quad shock mounts, quad shocks, and bolts (if you plan on keeping them if not sell them if you can)
upper and lower CA's with bolts (4 for uppers, 4 for lowers)
Make sure the shock mounts are included, mine were left off (where the shocks mount to the axle behind the lower control arm mount)
Shocks and bolts to mount them both lower bolts and the top nut
ABS sensors and wires if your keeping abs
springs
sway bar and bolts/nuts 4 total

What you need to give to him

Subframe bracket (where rear subframe arm mounts) and bolts (3 of them on each bracket)
Subframe
Front and rear subframe bolts 4 total
Exhaust
shocks and bolts top nut and bottom bolt/nut
springs
driveshaft
abs sensors and wires (just pull the wire from under your seat no need to disconnect your abs sensors)

I may be forgetting some shit but thats the general idea. Its a good time to change your fuel filter since its all opened up also. Only thing I am not 100% on is if you need his brake lines or not. I swapped brakes becuase I went to GT brakes. Your E-brake cable will work but you need to get the e-brake clips from him or make your own (secures the e-brake cable to the lower control arm/sway bar) I didnt get it and they rubbed my tires so had to make my own.

99MystiC

Established Member
U will also need his brake lines and urs to him. They are routed a lil different. But Bite Me got everything else down to the bolts.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
U will also need his brake lines and urs to him. They are routed a lil different. But Bite Me got everything else down to the bolts.

When I did my swap, we kept our brake lines. We did swap calipers/rotors though, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
the lines are actually different, I believe the IRS ones are longer and have a clip on them to clip to the upper control arm so they aren't destroyed by suspension movement over time.

Swap the lines.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Only way to make sure you and he get everything is to swap it out side by side so theres no confusion as to what to trade.

But here goes nothing

What you need from him

Driveshaft (have him mark its orientation on the pinion and you do the same)
Exhaust hangers, catback, and bolts
Pinion snubber and bolts (i believe there are 3)
Quad shock mounts, quad shocks, and bolts (if you plan on keeping them if not sell them if you can)
upper and lower CA's with bolts (4 for uppers, 4 for lowers)
Make sure the shock mounts are included, mine were left off (where the shocks mount to the axle behind the lower control arm mount)
Shocks and bolts to mount them both lower bolts and the top nut
ABS sensors and wires if your keeping abs
springs
sway bar and bolts/nuts 4 total

What you need to give to him

Subframe bracket (where rear subframe arm mounts) and bolts (3 of them on each bracket)
Subframe
Front and rear subframe bolts 4 total
Exhaust
shocks and bolts top nut and bottom bolt/nut
springs
driveshaft
abs sensors and wires (just pull the wire from under your seat no need to disconnect your abs sensors)

I may be forgetting some shit but thats the general idea. Its a good time to change your fuel filter since its all opened up also. Only thing I am not 100% on is if you need his brake lines or not. I swapped brakes becuase I went to GT brakes. Your E-brake cable will work but you need to get the e-brake clips from him or make your own (secures the e-brake cable to the lower control arm/sway bar) I didnt get it and they rubbed my tires so had to make my own.

Yeah hes over an hour away from me, so were trying to do it right the first time and thanks a lot for the info fellas I wasn't to sure about the brake lines.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Yeah i dont know man. I suppose it'd be the right thing to do whether its required or not.

grant007

Established Member
kept the same brake lines. and the calipers just did some ginding to make them fit a gt braket. did it all by myself about 5 hrs taking my time. winging it the whole way.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Yeah I dont know if its going down anymore, the guy didnt seem to be well educated on removing rear ends. Didn't want to remove everything then have to reinstall it.

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Plus I do more cruising around than drag racing. Though, Mason Dixon Dragway is only 40 minutes away and it'd be nice to have a reliable solid rear. Pretty much impaled on the fence like a deer with this one.

josh2016

Established Member
you should just buy a stock 8.8 and have it built. that will cost you around $800 then once you get it put in....sell ur IRS for $1000 and get ur money back plus $200

Mr Patience

Canadian Eh!
Established Member
If your not going to race often then just stick with the IRS. But make sure you only use a soft sidewall tire when racing. Stay away from a DR or regular radial while at the track when using the IRS. Get yourself a spare set of 17" wheels for the rear and go with the MT ET streets, I use to run 1.6's with this combo and no issues.

josh2016

Established Member
do you have to switch out the driveshaft?? i broke my halfshafts tonight at the track so im just gunna do the SRA swap

Users who are viewing this thread