IRS to SRA guys, some questions

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I have UPR double adjustable uppers/spherical bushings and double adjustable lowers. Viking double adjustable shocks.

The ride isn’t too bad. The Vikings really made a difference in ride quality. That said our roads are not the smoothest either.

As for noise level, I can’t hear a damn thing over them rattling strange struts & exhaust.

The car feels solid when you leave and is very predictable.
5816CBC7-A8E5-46EB-A2BA-452F66BC7363.jpeg
1D0FB705-C8BE-488A-AC0C-636B72F4E034.jpeg
89010FA6-93DC-436F-86EE-EA0298097DB4.jpeg

PC03GT

Established Member
Well I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. However I’ve found me a new cobra. It’s got an SRA, I’m not the biggest fan of that. Means it’s probably for more launches than nasa. However if that were to happen and I do pick this one up, you’re welcome to take it for a ride, and maybe even swap me your IRS for it ;)
Damn, if you get another cobra you're gonna have to change your name to CobraROB or something lol

phil a

Established Member
So, split down the middle looks like
Some for/some against
Too bad NVH is not something that can be quantified - LSWut thanks for the offer to ride in your SRA car….would love to do that but I’m on the other coast

I think I’ve come up with a middle ground - I found a guy local to me with a stock 99-04 8.8

I’m thinking about buying it, putting it in with new pinion and solid-ended arms top and bottom, just to see how loud/rough it is.
If it’s not really much difference for me, I can pull it out and build the housing/STrac/axles then, instead of putting in $$$ up front.

Thanks again!

Phil

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Considering the swap…

My car is basically a straight line street car, driven 500-1000mi per year
I make it to the track when I can but between work/kids it’s not as much as if mike
Still has IRS, FTBR bushings
Last time at the track was ~3600lb w me
Best 60’ of 1.51
28x10.5 slick with 4.10s
Right at 800rw

What appeals to me about the SRA is simplicity and weight savings
From what I’ve read, almost everyone cut a good amount of time off of their 60’ after the swap

I’ve talked with teamZ and a few other shops about control arms - everyone has suggested solid ends at both the upper and lower control arms

I don’t know anyone with a solid rear with solid rod ends to get a feel for noise/harshness/clunking - and that’s my dilemma

Car is loud as it is, it’s old with random rattles, and I’m not expecting a Cadillac. What I don’t want is something clunky and jarring that takes away from the enjoyment as a street car.

Any experience/input? Granted it’s subjective but hoping to hear pros v cons and yes v no whether you’d do it again or not.

Thankntoy

Phil

I just came across this thread and someone may have already said this, but solid bushings on the control arms, as well as the "bushings" on the top of the rear end, for the upper arm mounting point to the rear end, make for a very rough ride. I have all solid bushings and adjustable upper and lower arms. It's noisy too. I spend most of my time at the drag strip, so it's fine by me for now. They do have urethane bushed, adjustable uppers and lowers too. Obviously not as "solid" of a bushing, but it still offers the ability to adjust the pinion angle.
I wouldn't tell anyone to run what I have for a vehicle that never sees the track. It's not worth the harsh ride, unless you are drag racing. I would recommend the adjustable, urethane bushed, arms for a street car. My opinion is just that, though. The all solid arms definitely help keep the rear end where it's supposed to be on launch though.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Well I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. However I’ve found me a new cobra. It’s got an SRA, I’m not the biggest fan of that. Means it’s probably for more launches than nasa. However if that were to happen and I do pick this one up, you’re welcome to take it for a ride, and maybe even swap me your IRS for it ;)
More launches than Nasa....good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread