Is 450hp on a stock block SAFE???

SVTZEUS

SVT Lightning
Established Member
I have just installed a kennel bell on my L and a couple of other mods...my truck dynoed at 440 hp and 510#'s of torque... i want to install the inlet pipe and the throttle body from rpm outlet but they are telling me that my truck will get to about 450hp and that it is not to safe......What do you guys think, should i get it installed or not? Does the throttle body and inlet pipe really make a difference?

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
I was making 488 on a stock block, no problems. Upgrading your fuel system and a good tune are in order. Stock fuel system can handle 500hp, being safe, I upgraded. tb, and tube will increase throttle response. REMEMBER GOOD TUNE!!!

Mike Corrigan

Established Member
KenneSVT,
Have you been to the track with your combo? If so what did the truck run? That's some awesome power with the stock motor.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Man you will be plenty safe at that level as long as the tune is solid and conservative. Upgrade your pumps, injectors, and MAF. I ran a slew of 11.7's on my completely stock long block with a KB at 17-18 psi. The tune was very conservative and I ran 104 at those boost levels. Pump gas on 15psi street tune wich dynoed at 480rwhp. Good luck and do your homework for the tuner of your choice. Post some track times when you get em'.

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
KenneSVT said:

If you believe you're making 520 with those mods, I've got ocean front property for sale in Idaho. ;-)

Last edited:

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
scv8 said:
If you believe you're making 520 with those mods, I've got ocean front property for sale in Idaho. ;-)

Are you kidding or are you joking? Cause if you are serious you don't know that much about these trucks and mods. That is on a very conservative tune too. I could have had it tuned to 600+HP and 700+TQ. I dont have the money for a new block so I left it alone. You can ask any of these guys and they will tell you its true numbers.

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
No. I mean at the wheels. Im pushing over 600 at the crank. I had it dynotuned by Rick from Amazon Racing. What do you think I just bought the truck and started learning about Ls yesterday?

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
I didn't mean to insult you. Do you have stock heads/cams? I guess you're right, I don't know much about these trucks.

Congrats, you're making 70 more hp than you should :rockon:

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
Nah man....hahaha...you didnt insult me. I just wanted you to know I wasnt lying to ya. Makin more power than I should?? hahaha......I dont think thats possible. Its a completely stock block on a stock fuel system. One of the few thats running that much power the entire stock motor. Its all in the tune brother. The tune is everything when it comes to these trucks and how they run.

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
Tell you what. If you don't believe me and want to try and prove me wrong....your more than welcome to try. Im all ears. I don't mind at all. You can ask anyone about anything. Most of the people on this board know me someway or another and they know my truck. If you want to know anything about my L I'd be more than happy to tell you. Just let me know. We're all family here.

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
I have only taken it to the track once. I didnt even stress the motor. I ran full weight with bedcover, sub box, tailgate and half a tank of gas. I was on stock tires. I cut a 2.1 60 ft and ran a 13.3 at 97. Like I said, I just ran to see how it felt on the track. It had a lot left in it, not to mention I had no traction with my crappy tires.

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
Ask some of the guys from Halo....ask Silver04'L, he's seen my truck. I don't have anything to prove to you guys. I know what power Im making. If you dont believe me then don't. Im not trying to be a dick, but if you don't want to take my word for it.....oh well. I could talk till I am blue in the face and you still wont believe me. Take the mods I have + a good tuner = my numbers.

Mike Corrigan

Established Member
Well for a comparison my truck makes 430 SAE before my 50 shot of nitrous. I ran the truck a few weeks back @ FFW in Atlanta. 1st pass I had a 2.547 60' and went [email protected] mph. Well after finding out I was only warming up 1 tire I made sure the next pass I would have both tires heated up. This time I cut a 1.674 60' and went [email protected]. Truck weighed 4850 at the track scale.

Anyways all that power is really useless with stock tires. If nothing else get some Drag Radials

Back on Topic: SVTZEUS with the right tune you should be fine at that power level.

lighninquick

Banned
***Anyways all that power is really useless with stock tires. If nothing else get some Drag Radials***

trap speed is a very good indicatorof what your hp is

when i was at 430 hp i traped 108ish with street tires

Mike Corrigan

Established Member
Well the times KenneSVT posted are completely worthless with a 97 mph trap. He must of not had his foot to the floor, or on the brakes before the end of the track.

lightninquick said:
trap speed is a very good indicator of what your hp is

Actually a good indicator of your HP/Weight ratio, But I know what you mean

Last edited:

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
12.2 @ 111mph with my mods listed below..Drag radials spinning...i cut a 1.79 60ft..If I had some beefy slicks I think I might get into the 11,s.....Also one day I will get a converter..That will make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread