Is a 3000GT a good car?

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
My friend has the opportunity to buy a 1991 3000GT with roughly 56,000 miles for $6000. He says it is mint condition, and that the KBB is around $7500 or so for this car.

I didn't know much about this car so I thought I would ask you car nuts. Are they reliable? Is anything prone to breaking on them? Are the parts expensive?

I do see a lot of them driving around, so that has to be a good sign.

Thanks a lot!
Chris

UCBeau

you could try checking their forums..i see a lot of them around here but i've heard they are pretty heavy and slow.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
those things are dead slow... and the vr4s are not very reliable and the engine is really tight to work on.... besides that i guess its a pretty reliable car... just not for performance

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
He said it was the 6cyl and I don't think he cares about performance. Just wants a good car. Anyone know of a good forum to look at for them?

rick_757

Established Member
I used to have one (a stealth, same thing). They are good cars. I sold mine cause too much milage. If its auto then its probably not a good idea. Auto trannys suck in these cars. the standard tranny is good.

Also there is a SOHC and a DOHC...DOHC has 222 hp and the sohc has around 160...

Price on the parts are average..If its not a vr4, dont bother modding..

:)

rick_757

Established Member
LOTS of problems only if u treat them like crap..

Only bad thing on mine was my afc..120 bucks fixed..i drove mine for 50,000 miles..all good.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
if youre looking for a weekend car to mod then yeah. if youre looking for a DD then no.

id recommend checking out 3si.org, its a site devoted to the 3000GT and Stealth platform.

Adam.L.

Established Member
A friend has one. He hasn't had any problems with it in the 6 years I've known him. Seems like it would be a good daily driver, and it looks decent, it just doesn't perform as good as it looks (lacks power).

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
DSM's flagship, also the worst AWD system known to man. (if equipped) more parasitic hp loss than the space shuttle on re-entry.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
My cousin has 3 of them, two are VR4s one is a SL. They are basicly a swiss watch. When they work they work great, but there are so many little parts that all have to work just right. One of the cars he has spent over $60,000 mostly from blowing the engine or the transfercase. I think his engine has been redone 2 or 3 times and the transfercase 4 times. It still smokes and has terrible valve noise (noisy valves are one of their trademarks). The syncro's in the tranny grind no matter how many times its been rebuilt. Of course that car is cursed. He bought it from a fella who was dying of cancer. After the fella sold the car to my cousin... he got better. :uh oh:

My advice on a SL,
It's heavy, and parts are pricey. It's his money but if he buys one, his money will soon be Mitsu's money.
(also, he might want to start carrying arround a toolkit in the car.)

Last edited:

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
ElGato said:
DSM's flagship, also the worst AWD system known to man. (if equipped) more parasitic hp loss than the space shuttle on re-entry.

That's the funniest comparison I've seen in a while!!:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread