is a c head swap considered an "inexpensive upgrade"

pur pony

Established Member
First off... if anyone can direct me to the "Chris Scott C swap" post that would be great. Read about it but cant seem to find it. Not sure what his user name is.

I was just looking for some input... I have a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC that i am looking to up the HP on. I was going to install a 96-98 cobra intake along with kooks headers and full exhaust and stall converter. I just finished gears and jmod the other night.

Then i got to thinking, instead of swapping the 96-98 intake i already have, why not swap to a set of C heads with a 99+ cobra intake.

From my understanding the Mark VIII exhaust cams are the same as the 96-98 cobra, so swapping to Cobra intake cams are an improvement in these cars....

So I was thinking 01 cobra heads with 96-98 cobra cams....... Is this the best factory combo there is??? I read that the 96-98 cams are a little more aggressive then the 99+.... Looking for maximum HP per dollar. Dont ever plan on a blower at this time, just looking to stay NA. Guy on the lincoln sight just ran a 12.8 on a NA Mark VIII with stock B heads.....

Also i have read that the lincoln Continentals came with C-heads as well.

So is a C head swap considered an inexpensive mod for a decent HP gain? Im looking to build the car on a budget and just experiment and see how fast i can get in NA. Its a Daily Driver.

Jonesy98

Established Member
if im not mistaken, doing the c-head swap was mostly done for adding a twin screw set up vs the centri. i could be wrong... not to mention intake options for c-heads vs b-heads. i think the c's do flow a lil better but i think its a trade off low-end vs mid range etc. this guy your talking about doing 12.8 on a N/A mark, has to have a descently high stall, and possibly 4.30's. thats if he hasnt swapped out the intake cams and intake. i could be wrong on all that on the heads. but mine is a mark viii short block with a .20 overbore, 96-98 cobra intake, and intake cams. soooo i do want to go a c-head eventually... but i might just stay b-head do a SRI, and boost it next spring after some rods and piston.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
if im not mistaken, doing the c-head swap was mostly done for adding a twin screw set up vs the centri. i could be wrong... not to mention intake options for c-heads vs b-heads. i think the c's do flow a lil better but i think its a trade off low-end vs mid range etc.

There is no "trade-off", C heads make more tq, more mid range hp and more peak hp than B heads. Also, a C head swap benefits a Mark 8 far more than it does a Cobra. When using the Cobra intake cams you will need to install them at a much lower lobe center than stock as this will provide much needed mid range hp and tq. I recommend you install them at a 108 lobe center and put the exhaust at 116 (if you shift at 6200 or lower). If you don't advance them the tq will be low and the ETs will suffer (I've installed these in Marauders and they don't perform well "not advanced).

The C head swap for the Mark 8 is not the same as one for a Cobra. You'll have to find a way to make the throttle and cruise cables work as their aren't a substitutes that will fit. The stock coolant crossover can be made to fit and you can of course use your valve covers, front cover and ignition.

The Continentals used the same heads as the 99 and 01 Cobra's and the cams are the same as the 01 Cobra's. The 03/04 heads are a little better but people seem to think they are made of gold these days...not worth the extra cash IMO.

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I just did a c head swap. It is worth it. My car has more nuts all around. You can really feel the power difference at 6k, where my cams are degreed to be most effective. My car used to fall on its face, not anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread