Is a lightning right for me?

97SVT#777

Established Member
Wanted to get you guy's opinions who own this truck to see if it is really for me.

I'm looking at getting an '02 to '03 in blue (preferably '03 blue), but if I can't find that color we'll see. I will pretty much keep it stock. Not even a pulley or tune for right now. I will mainly use it to go to work and back, putting 100-150 miles a week tops. This will be my only vehicle. I'm tired of the cobra and could use a truck every once in a while. I've always loved the looks of the lightning, and I can't think of any other truck I would like to have. I'm out of the racing thing, so I wouldn't abuse it. I do have to get around idiots though to work and back. What do you guys think?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Not even a pulley or tune for right now.

Who wants to bet over under 3 months before a tune or pulley is installed? lol :D

Do it. You won't regret buying an Lightning.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Regret it? Hardly. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. :thumbsup: Just accept the fact that you will mod it and that you're completely helpless to stop yourself. :beer:

morrison_205

Established Member
they are right about the mod bug. you will get bit! i was against modding an already descently quick truck and thought that tunes and pulleys would ruin it but after researching and a little help from this site i spend whenever i can afford to.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I used to search these boards every so often when i get an urge to get a lightning. It used to be a dream. Id watch tons of videos on streetfire, you tube etc. Then last year i asked my folks if i could sell my Ranger which was a graduation gift years ago and they said sure.

From then, it was on like donkey kong. It took about 2 months from the day i started shopping to the day i got to drive it. That day was last Thrusday at 3:30pm. I've never seen a more beautiful truck in my life. The inside imo, is awesome. The power is nuts. I am coming from a v6 ranger so it's a huge step up in the power department.

It's very comfortable to drive. The power seats are very nice not to mention other comforts.

I hate the monthly note and the trouble of selling my ranger right now but seeing the L, driving it, knowing i own it, getting all the looks when i drive by people is worth every penny of it. Just my two cents...:shrug:

Stewie 03

Established Member
I will pretty much keep it stock. Not even a pulley or tune for right now.

Bwahhhhhaaaaaa!! That's funny right there I don't care who you are. In all seriousness you definitely won't regret the purchase. You will wonder why you didn't get into one sooner! Cut up the credit cards or prepare to max them out!

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Don't let them scare you. It IS POSSIBLE to keep a Lightning stock. I'm in the minority, but I'm just saying that there is hope. That being said, I'll bet the under (3 months). Everyone says that they're going to keep it stock.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
You definitely won't regret it. I just bought my first L about 2 months ago and like Fade 2 Black already said, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner! Mine is my daily driver and it is awesome. It is so comfy, and it truly handles & drives like a car. Considering it's a daily driver, I look more into this thing than looking at power & looks. I love the seating position, the steering feel, the visibility throughout the whole truck (no blind spots for me), and I love that it doesn't handle like an ordinary truck. I've came from having a H/C/I 5.0 Fox Body Mustang & a 12-second N/A stock tire 06 Mustang as daily drivers, and I have not missed either of those cars while driving this truck. My spirited daily driving hasn't suffered at all.

My ONLY thing that I shake my head about sometimes is the gas mileage. But it's really no different than ANY truck; I actually think it's pretty good considering it's a truck with the power it has. But it you're putting about 600 miles a month on yours, you won't even notice it.

When I was reading up on L's while I was searching for one, I noticed how DEARLY former owners missed their L's after they've sold/traded them. I noticed how alot of them MUST and do go out later on and buy another L. And now that I've had mine for a couple months I see why. There's some kind of magical attachment with these trucks that I've never seen with any Mustang.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Mine is stockish, intake and catback that were on it when I got it, and has stayed that way for over 6 months. I have a pulley to put on it just no money for a tune

krzemienr

NOS Doesn't Make You Cool
Established Member
very good purchase! probably the best thing I have ever spent money on! lol, but yes staying stock is hard, it takes a bit to get used to as a daily driver but once you hit that stop and look around, you will get little things, it's possible to keep it stock.... it's just a matter of time before your money starts missing and your truck is getting faster

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
It is possible to keep one stock. IMO it only if you don't drive them. Once you start driving it you will want it faster.

I have a buddy of mine who has one and it is stock. He only drives his when he pulls his boat. His is a 2000 white L with only 30,000 miles. All stock.

Mine is pretty much stock for now, thats just because I got it around christmas time. My funds went to my little boy.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
I can't say what's right for you, but a Lightning was sure right for me!

IMG_4187.gif

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
Only thing I regret is not getting the Harley Edition as I like to have more than 1 to 2 more people in the car....

Also...I dont like my groceries to be scattered all over the rear bed...so a back seat would be nice...

fullboogie

Established Member
Keep in mind that you will get around 11-12 mph in the city. Pretty crappy for a daily driver, and makes for huge gasoline bills.

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
drove my as a dailyy driver for the first 2 yrs i had it. no regrets at all. fought the mod bug for bout 6 months then started and it never ends.

Users who are viewing this thread