Is a Wen orbital buffer safe for paint?

jpk

Established Member
I have a Wen orbital buffer that I bought six or seven years ago. I think the diameter of the pad is 10" or 11". I used to use it for removing carnuba paste wax on my old car. However, I'm kinda scared to use a machine on my Mystichrome paint and have only waxed by hand. I keep seeing all these folks swearing by the Porter Cable, and I'm not sure if that is because it is better than other buffers or if any orbital is really OK to use and I shouldn't be so worried.

Should I ditch the Wen and stick to hand waxing, or is it time to get some new pads and put it to use?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
jpk said:
I have a Wen orbital buffer that I bought six or seven years ago. I think the diameter of the pad is 10" or 11". I used to use it for removing carnuba paste wax on my old car. However, I'm kinda scared to use a machine on my Mystichrome paint and have only waxed by hand. I keep seeing all these folks swearing by the Porter Cable, and I'm not sure if that is because it is better than other buffers or if any orbital is really OK to use and I shouldn't be so worried.

Should I ditch the Wen and stick to hand waxing, or is it time to get some new pads and put it to use?

I still have a Wen orbital myself, still does a good job. I switched to the porter cable because it has a 6" pad, adjustable speed settings, and a real on/off switch. I wouldnt get ride of your old Wen, they still work well, just keep checking the pad to make sure it doesnt load up on you.

Chris

jpk

Established Member
Thanks. What is the best pad to use for applying Clear Kote glazes and wax with a Wen? Terry, microfiber, or something else?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
jpk said:
Thanks. What is the best pad to use for applying Clear Kote glazes and wax with a Wen? Terry, microfiber, or something else?

Using the buffer to apply, it really wont matter, since there wont be a sponge material sandwiched in between like an applicator pad. So it wont really matter. I recommend the microfiber since it will be much less likely to scratch the paint.

jpk

Established Member
I see that on the TropiCare website you sell a microfiber bonnet. Is it 6" for the Porter Cable or is it larger for the Wen and other orbital buffers?

Do you use one bonnet to apply and then another to remove, or do you remove polish and wax by hand?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
jpk said:
I see that on the TropiCare website you sell a microfiber bonnet. Is it 6" for the Porter Cable or is it larger for the Wen and other orbital buffers?

Do you use one bonnet to apply and then another to remove, or do you remove polish and wax by hand?

It will actually work on both. It will fit on a 9" wen style orbital. Or it will also fit over a foam pad for the porter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread