Is an electronic boost controller(EBC) necessary?

20lbbooster

Established Member
I've been a blower guy for the last few years but have switched to a single turbo setup. I'm on a factory sleeved, built motor running a BW 76mm turbo. My plan is to run enough boost to get between 900-1000whp.

My question is this: how necessary is an EBC such as the boost leash or the eBoost2 etc? I know they are very popular and serve a function but are they absolutely necessary to make my car run bottom 9s or high 8s? If I run my gates at somewhere between 15-17psi and use a manual boost controller (MBC) can I accomplish my goals?

I'm not anti an EBC, but I'd like to keep my setup as simple as possible. It's not a money issue at all either...I've spent plenty already! I'm just heaitant to run the EBC and co2 to control my boost. It just seems like one more thing to have to deal with.

This is isn't my first turbo setup, but it will be my most powerful one and the quickest one. Are any of the sec guys NOT running an EBC?

Thanks in advance for the input.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Get the Leash. The EBC is nice for when you don't have to get out and change PSI settings, the Leash [especially with C02] will hold boost better than an MBC, and overall just a lot nicer than an MBC. You can see everythig you need with the Leash right there. Gate pressure, manifold pressure, ramp rates, boost by gear, scramble, force, etc.... It is well worth the money. Why limit yourself with the MBC when you can spend $500 and get one of the best controllers out there and be able to change the setup on the fly?

20lbbooster

Established Member
I know it's a badass controller, no doubt. I'm just wondering if I can achieve the same goals without it. I'm not one to mess with the setup. I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy.

I'm wondering if there are people making high hp, running good times NOT running an EBC. Maybe just running off gates or with MBC....

Chances are, I'm gonna end up with an EBC, just wanted to hear other people experiences without EBC....

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ull just blow the tires off at a 1000 whp. of course u need a BC. ul defl need one if u think ur going 8's thats for sure

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I know it's a badass controller, no doubt. I'm just wondering if I can achieve the same goals without it. I'm not one to mess with the setup. I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy.

I'm wondering if there are people making high hp, running good times NOT running an EBC. Maybe just running off gates or with MBC....

Chances are, I'm gonna end up with an EBC, just wanted to hear other people experiences without EBC....

You won't hear many because they get rid of the MBC for the EBC... It's just the right thing to do.

Dig Race

Established Member
It's more then just changing your peak boost without getting out of the car. With something like the leash it does so much more then peak boost. You can control how your boost comes in, where it comes in, anything you want it to do, and no boost creep like a mbc if you set it to 12 then you will see 12. Co2 just puts pressure on the have so you don't have to rely on manifold pressure, once again it's all about controlling the boost.

WIPLASH1

Established Member
You definitely may be right! What did people do before there were EBCs?
What he said.

Before there were EBCs people made 400whp and ruled the streets. Even then it wasn't TOO hard to find a tire to hold that.

Now we're more than doubling that in heavier cars. The biggest advantage in a good EBC is its programmability like boost by gear or rpm.

You can certainly get there, but having enough full boost to get to 9-1000whp in 1st and 2nd on the street is unproductive. I'm at 15lbs thru an A6 and an MBC. Not sure the power level but it should be 850 or more. 1st and 2nd are pointless, and even 3rd skates a bit (fun at 110mph).

I'd question the ability of even the best tires to hold full boost at a decent track in 2nd gear. I haven't gotten to the track to find out yet.

I've got an Autometer EBC going in very soon, and I'll hold 1st and 2nd gear to 10lbs or so for the street, maybe 13-14 at the track.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
go a hellova a lot slower lol....I don't have a BC on my current Grand National but its only making about 700 to the wheels and its just a street car but I cud definitely benefit from one even on the street.

I have a Turbo Busa and there is no way in hell id ride it without a BC. u cud run it off the spring alone but ull end up flipping it. of course with a car ur gonna flip it but the point is u want to go with the smallest spring u can find (4 lbs or so) so ur BC can control the boost at the lowest level and work its way up.

I have the AMS 2000 on my bike and had the AMS 1000 on my last Grand National and the 2000 is way better especially with the overlay feature and it has a built in data logger. but the Leash controller is all u need imo and far cheaper.

there is no way u wanna be making 15-20 lbs of boost or more in first gear. ur 60 ft will be 4 seconds long. you don't want a BC u NEED a BC. at 500 hp maybe not. at a 1000 whp absolutely.

I will tell you that the AMS 1000 does work well in gear mode. Seb fixed that with the AMS 2000 so again I wud buy the leash. a used AMS 1000 will cost the same as a new Leash will.

You definitely may be right! What did people do before there were EBCs?

Last edited:

onefastmf

Established Member
You don't need to run a ebc, I ran 8's in my old coupe with a 91mm. Just used a mbc, nice and simple. Now with my current setup I do use the boost leash and like it. It's nice to have, but not always needed.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
A ball and spring MBC works very well for the money. I've used them on other cars along with expensive EBC's and the boost response is nearly the same. Now if you want to constantly change your boost settings and have boost by gear, then pay up and get the EBC.

Users who are viewing this thread