Is car racing a sport?

• YES

Votes: 66 83.5%
  • NO

Votes: 13 16.5%

• Total voters

nugen

Established Member
This debate has been raging in my office for the past week or so. Now I am asking for everyone elses opinion.

Is car racing a sport?

bchisom99

Established Member
YES

I've never actually participated in any sort of road racing however a friend of mine did have a 250cc shifter cart we use to mess around with on tracks and my body has never been so beat to hell in my entire life, unreal, so yes, i would say it is seeing all the things you have to keep on top of durning a race,.........thanks....

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Sure it is. It requires competition, just like any other sport. Physical actions factor in driving such as shifting, turning..things like that. Fatigue is a factor, especially for F1 or Nascar drivers. I dont see any reason why it wouldn't be a sport. I guess someones argument about it not being a sport would be that the car is doing all the work. In that case, the person arguing that its not a sport needs to realize that the car is just the medium in which the competition is taking place. Its not like you see Barry Bonds hitting 100mph fastballs with the palm of his hand..

darkpony02

What flashing lights?
Established Member
BlueOvalAvenger said:
Sure it is. It requires competition, just like any other sport. Physical actions factor in driving such as shifting, turning..things like that. Fatigue is a factor, especially for F1 or Nascar drivers. I dont see any reason why it wouldn't be a sport. I guess someones argument about it not being a sport would be that the car is doing all the work. In that case, the person arguing that its not a sport needs to realize that the car is just the medium in which the competition is taking place. Its not like you see Barry Bonds hitting 100mph fastballs with the palm of his hand..

Couldn't have said it better myself, the Barry Bonds part hits it home. When you think about it, no other sport requires so much mental and physical action to take place in such a short time frame.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
mustangowner said:
i like watching nascar and live for speed but it is not a sport

Well don't that make you just freaking special. You obvioulsy have not been out on a course or if you have you were on drugs when you went.

I suppose that you might be saying this as a result of YOUR definition of "sport". But then I am guessing that you probably don't consider anything that does not involve bodily contact a "sport" either ... maybe you should just explain what you mean... and tell us how old you are so we can put an experience frame around what is sure to be an enlightening answer.

Of course it is a sport ... like golf, baseball, football, hockey or basketball is a sport. the Medium is different but the average human could not just step into a race car and make a go of it physically or mentally. It take prep time, and physical exertion, and skill beyond the norm to be able to do it.... so yes .. it is a sport

nugen

Established Member
BlueOvalAvenger said:
I guess someones argument about it not being a sport would be that the car is doing all the work. In that case, the person arguing that its not a sport needs to realize that the car is just the medium in which the competition is taking place. Its not like you see Barry Bonds hitting 100mph fastballs with the palm of his hand..

You make an outstanding point. I never thought about the argument of the car being a medium, and the Bonds argument is right on.

As one of the few "gearheads" in my office, I have defended that car racing is indeed a sport. I've spent my share of time at road courses and drag races. It seems like people who have never done it just don't understand how physically and mentally taxing it is.

Keep 'em coming guys!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Honestly i say no cuz it involves no REAL PYSHICAL contact like (unless crash), i mean dont get me wrong i ve 2 have spent many hours upon end at differnet tracks but if you see any moron can go and drive, BUT it takes someone with SKILL to be a great driver, so dont flame me its just my opinion i just dont think its a real sport like football and baseball, etc........

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Achilles said:
Honestly i say no cuz it involves no REAL PYSHICAL contact like (unless crash), i mean dont get me wrong i ve 2 have spent many hours upon end at differnet tracks but if you see any moron can go and drive, BUT it takes someone with SKILL to be a great driver, so dont flame me its just my opinion i just dont think its a real sport like football and baseball, etc........

Well this is just freking stupid :bash: ... you say it is not a sport because "it involves no REAL PHYSICAL contact" Then you list BASEBALL as a sport. Since when does BASEBALL require PHYSICAL contact? :rollseyes :bs: so by your definition baseball, tennis, golf, high diving, "sport fishing", are not sports? and football, basketball, and ice hockey ARE because people get banged up and hurt? .. gimme a break .... can we say .... moronic idea ?

inteller

Established Member
car racing is more sport than some others, like golf.

car racing takes variables away from the sportsman he cant control, unlike basketball where all of the physical aspects can be controlled.

racing is more mentally demanding than other sports, because you are strapped down inside a big hunk of metal and have to stay there for long periods of time.

Steeltwo

Established Member
RDJ said:
Well this is just freking stupid :bash: ... you say it is not a sport because "it involves no REAL PHYSICAL contact" Then you list BASEBALL as a sport. Since when does BASEBALL require PHYSICAL contact? :rollseyes :bs: so by your definition baseball, tennis, golf, high diving, "sport fishing", are not sports? and football, basketball, and ice hockey ARE because people get banged up and hurt? .. gimme a break .... can we say .... moronic idea ?

the ball hitting the bat = contact

ViciousJay

Established Member
walking a running is NOT A CONTACT SPORT in which in my eyes IS NOT A SPORT!, and yes baseball is a contact sport to a degree

Users who are viewing this thread