Is everyone using 5W20 oil???

Merlin509

Established Member
I'm switching to Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and wondering if I still should use the 5W20 weight as specified by Ford.

Thanks

TEABG

Banned
5/20 HERE ALSO. JUST LIKE MUSTANG'S AND FAST FORD'S WROTE USE 5/20 for these motors. Very tight internal tolerances within the motor. MOBIL 1 5/20 SYN HERE.

TEABG

Banned
It is a matter of physics and not opinion. Synthetic Oil offers protection and performance beyond conventional oil. SVT also says do not install a K&N filter because microns and air fragments can penetrate BLA BLa BLAAA. Of course they will tell you not to go with synthetic because as soon as something goes wrong the customer will complain that SVT warranted the high performance oil and the oil contributed to the failure. You know how that goes. My car loves SYN 5/20 Mobil 1.

TEABG

Banned
Latest SVTPERFORMANCE.COM POLL

5w20 factory fill 80 17.02%
5w20 full synthetic 119 25.32%
5w30 dino 8 1.70%
5w30 synthetic 214 45.53%
other 49 10.43%
Voters: 470. You have already voted on this poll

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
TEABG said:
It is a matter of physics and not opinion. Synthetic Oil offers protection and performance beyond conventional oil. SVT also says do not install a K&N filter because microns and air fragments can penetrate BLA BLa BLAAA. Of course they will tell you not to go with synthetic because as soon as something goes wrong the customer will complain that SVT warranted the high performance oil and the oil contributed to the failure. You know how that goes. My car loves SYN 5/20 Mobil 1.
SVT told you a K&N lets in microns and air fragments?! What the hell are those, lol! (Well...I know what a micron is...it's one millionth of a meter, but I sure as hell don't know what an air fragment is!) Who ever told you that must be on drugs, or think we're a bunch of idiots, LOL!

Yeah, Cobra'03 is definitely the Lube Man. Anyway, the take away was that the real idea of 5w20 was simply to meet CAFE requirements.

TEABG

Banned
Black2003Cobra said:
SVT told you a K&N lets in microns and air fragments?! What the hell are those, lol! (Well...I know what a micron is...it's one millionth of a meter, but I sure as hell don't know what an air fragment is!) Who ever told you that must be on drugs, or think we're a bunch of idiots, LOL!

Yeah, Cobra'03 is definitely the Lube Man. Anyway, the take away was that the real idea of 5w20 was simply to meet CAFE requirements.

What weight oil is Astro Glide ? LUBE MAN (6) quarts of that and :thumbsup: 5/20 or 5/30 is the real question I agree. Synthetic is simply a better oil despite what oil weight. Ford will not ever tell you it is OK to use anything other than their brand because it is business. FORD GT FULL SYNTHETIC from the factory, I think they come with Mobil 1. Our cars are making the same power now and needs the same protection and performance. With 5/20 our cars make the best power and run optimal 5/20 also aids in FUEL ECONOMY. FORD GT 50 weight oil and uses a dry-sump. They do not have to worry about the crank drowning in think oil.

Last edited:

tankerman1981

Established Member
i've only used Mobil 1 5w20 and I've had absolutely no problems and my 03 is a daily driver with just over 40K on it..... I'm going to stay with my Mobil 1 guys... just my opinion...

TEABG

Banned
I think most people use 5/30 because 5/20 is not readily available. If you want 5/20, you have to hunt for it.

Users who are viewing this thread