Is Ford capable of....

hj16

Established Member
Ford has already made high HP NA engines. The newly available 5.0L Cammer makes over 400hp. Go look on Corral.net to see the high HP NA guys at work. There are guys with 4.6s making 430+rwhp, and 5.3s making near 500rwhp. Thats impressive when you take into consideration the lack of aftermarket heads and cams available.

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Ford has already made high HP NA engines. The newly available 5.0L Cammer makes over 400hp. Go look on Corral.net to see the high HP NA guys at work. There are guys with 4.6s making 430+rwhp, and 5.3s making near 500rwhp. Thats impressive when you take into consideration the lack of aftermarket heads and cams available.

Factory hp.

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
Ford 427 Concept as mentioned above.

Engine 90º V10
Displacement 7.000 liter / 427.2 cu in
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated

Performance figures
Power 590 bhp / 440.1 kW @ 6500 rpm

:burnout:

Black99GT

Established Member
What about Boss330 making 500 rwhp from a 5.4 4V? I believe those are the right numbers. He pops up on here from time to time, maybe he'll chime in. Obviously it's a far cry from factory, but it's damn impressive.
Steve

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by fordification
...building a production naturally aspirated engine that produces over 500hp? Lately, there has been alot of critisism(as always) regarding the supercharging of all Fords high output engines. I think it's just a matter of time before Ford gives in and builds a 600hp n/a smallblock to prove a point.

I'm getting sick of argueing that they are capable of this. Does anyone have some good points to make?

Specifically regarding the Ferrari/Porsche/GT shootout, Ferrari and Porsche are using 3.?L n/a engines making ~450-500hp. There biggest loss is in low torque numbers, 250/270ft-lbs, where as the GT is over 500.

Back in the 60's ford had a concept engine that was a SOHC and over 400Ci large that put out over 800hp Naturally aspired.

I beleive Ford's 427CI V10 puts out upwards of 600hp naturally aspirated.

Ford had a 5 valve 4.6 liter concept engine that put out between 380 and 390hp N/A, with that said I beleive if Ford really wanted too they could design a 5valve 5.4 to put out atleast over 450hp N/A.

Almost forgot, the Saleen S7's 7.0 liter V8 is produced by ford, which produces 550hp Naturally Aspirated.

So ford could make a N/A 500+ hp engine if they really wanted too... I wouldnt really see the point though, right now, with as easy is it is to modify these modular supercharged engines Ford has been producing lately.

fordification

Established Member
Re: Re: Is Ford capable of....

Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Back in the 60's ford had a concept engine that was a SOHC and over 400Ci large that put out over 800hp Naturally aspired.

I beleive Ford's 427CI V10 puts out upwards of 600hp naturally aspirated.

Ford had a 5 valve 4.6 liter concept engine that put out between 380 and 390hp N/A, with that said I beleive if Ford really wanted too they could design a 5valve 5.4 to put out atleast over 450hp N/A.

Almost forgot, the Saleen S7's 7.0 liter V8 is produced by ford, which produces 550hp Naturally Aspirated.

So ford could make a N/A 500+ hp engine if they really wanted too... I wouldnt really see the point though, right now, with as easy is it is to modify these modular supercharged engines Ford has been producing lately.

The 427 sohc made 650hp but was net hp and not SAE also.

The S7 isn't a production Ford car. The motor is a stroked 351 windsor motor with aftermarkets.

I need some more examples for argument sake.

03CobraBro

Established Member
If your looking for a N/A Ford production engine that produces over 500hp, your not going to find it. Everything Ford's produced thats made a N/A 500hp was a concept. The only American company right now with a naturally aspired 500hp engine that can be found in an actual production car is Dodge with the Viper. Actually, Chevrolet has never had a N/A engine producing 500+hp thats went into a prodcution car either (unless you concider the 125 1963 Corvette GS'es production with there 550hp)

As far as N/A european sports car engines are concerned, atleast alot of them, (there are acceptions; The Pagini Zonda for instance) produce hardly enough torque in comparison to the horsepower output. Those cars really do not need a whole lot of torque, though, with as light as they are.

I can give you that there is a good possibility Carrol Shelby's new Cobra Concept will be going into production, which produces 605hp out of a N/A Ford V10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread