Is it faster to use a shop press and some sockets to do the IRS bushings vs the tools?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Have a 99 IRS. All the bushings in it are done except the control arms and I don't have the tools nor want to spend $100 to do them when I have a press. I'd also rather not kill myself with a breaker bar and the original rubber from 1999...

Would it be easy enough to just drill them out as much as possible and then torch them and then pop them out with a hardened socket and a shop press or is that a bad idea? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I wouldn't use a socket because there is a small amount of rubber that overlaps the outside of the arm IIRC. You'd never get the socket square enough to actually press the rubber out. Your socket would bind and pop out the side. The tools have a cup that go around the arm and prevent the washer and bolt from doing the same thing. With the tools, you are pulling the bushing through instead of pushing it out. Does that make sense? It is a pain with a breaker bar, you may be able to do it with an impact.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When my buddy and I did mine we started with a torch and a hammer. Get them nice and hot then knock out the rubber. Then his regulator blew up. We went to another buddies house with a press and managed to push the rest if the bushings out with the press. If you're using the new bushings don't forget the shells have to come out too. We used a sawzall to cut the shell them knocked them out with a punch.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The IRS came with a new set of Prothanes. The cross axis joints need to be done too but those come with the tool.

So with the prothanes just try to get them out with a bunch of holes and then a torch and then sawzall out the shells? Sounds like a fun afternoon...

Ugh I might just buy the tools...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I used the tools, was pretty straightforward. The only big tool I used was a drill press for the zerk fittings on the control arms, and an angle grinder to smooth the inside mounting tabs on the IRS cradle.

cobralvr01

Established Member
When I swapped in an IRS into my '97 Cobra, I switched out all of the bushings for Bruce's FTBR Delrin kit. It's pretty easy, you just need to be a little patient with some of the bushings. I don't think you're saving much by having a shop do it compared to you doing it.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Edit: I did this on the IRS subframe bushings, not the control arm bushings.

When I did mine I drilled them out. I took the bit and started right where the metal and rubber met. Just walked the bit around the hole.

Bushing came right out and it didn't chew the metal up. I only tried this after fighting with them for hours. Mine were only in there for maybe two years that point though...

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the arms already have poly bushings you should be able to push them out with your press pretty easy. They're not vulcanized to the shell like a stock rubber bushing.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
No, the bushing in the control arms are the original rubber, the rest of the IRS was already all done up with prothane. I'll probably just go nuts with a drill and save myself the $100. I know I can get the uppers out without too much trouble without the tools and the cross link bushings on the knuckles come with a tool anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread