Is it REALLY this easy?

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
My Nissan Altima has a similar key system.

I hear ya.
But most cars with a pushbutton start requires the key fob to be pretty close to the vehicle.
Otherwise the ignition is disabled.
Now, if he left the key fob in the vehicle or if the key is left in the ignition....Your hell begins.

TrevorR90

Banned
I hear ya.
But most cars with a pushbutton start requires the key fob to be pretty close to the vehicle.
Otherwise the ignition is disabled.
Now, if he left the key fob in the vehicle or if the key is left in the ignition....Your hell begins.

True, the key needs to be in the car, but once the car is running you can take the key out and the car will drive as far as it will take you without they key in the car. If I read the story right, the guy had the key in his pocket and it was run through the car wash. The guy basically just jumped in and drove off because it was still running.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
"A man walked up to a BMW just after it was cleaned at a Route 17 carwash, pushed the start button and then drove off with the car before anyone could stop him, police said Sunday."

First sentence of the story. The key had to be in the car. It would have been just as easy for him to turn the key left in the ignition. These cars will not start without the key in the car.

Is it REALLY this easy stealing a car with the key? Yes it is.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I seen some stupid ass woman do something similar ...... drove up to the gas station, left it running, some dude hoped in a took off. I felt sorta bad for her, but dumb bitch kinda deserved it too.

Planter

Banned
I'm sorry, but if you leave your key in the ignition, and leave the car running and aren't in it, and it gets stolen, that's your fault. your insurance shouldn't cover it either.

same with the push button stuff. the key should have to be in the ignition at all times in order for the push button stuff to work.

claims like this should be denied on the grounds that the insured failed to mitigate the damage or possibility of the vehicle being stolen.

I have remote start in my Accord, but it has a 15 minute cutoff, and if someone tries to steal it, the minute they hit the brake, the car dies without the key in the ignition.

SOCOMech

Established Member
My wife's Lexus has the push button and transmitter key fob.....the key fob has to be in the car to start it. If you get out of the car with the fob while the car is running, the car starts beeping and will eventually go into a limp/shutdown mode.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I'm sorry, but if you leave your key in the ignition, and leave the car running and aren't in it, and it gets stolen, that's your fault. your insurance shouldn't cover it either.

same with the push button stuff. the key should have to be in the ignition at all times in order for the push button stuff to work.

claims like this should be denied on the grounds that the insured failed to mitigate the damage or possibility of the vehicle being stolen.

I have remote start in my Accord, but it has a 15 minute cutoff, and if someone tries to steal it, the minute they hit the brake, the car dies without the key in the ignition.

I get in this arguement with my mother all the time...as she is a State Farm Agent...

I dont see how it can be the fault of the owner if the car ges stolen if the keys were left inside. I didnt "make" that person break the law! I didnt make someone decided that something that wasnt theres is free to have!

Planter

Banned
I get in this arguement with my mother all the time...as she is a State Farm Agent...

I dont see how it can be the fault of the owner if the car ges stolen if the keys were left inside. I didnt "make" that person break the law! I didnt make someone decided that something that wasnt theres is free to have!

ok, but at the same time, if you can do something to prevent it from happening...it's your duty as insurance policyholder.

I use to work home claims for State farm. if the wind blows a bunch of shingles off your roof and you got a hole in the roof, it's your job as the homeowner, to either call a roofing company and get a tarp up there to prevent any further damage, or get your ladder out and get up there yourself.

Because if by the time I get there, you didn't cover the hole in the roof, and now your have water damage to your walls and carpet, the insurance company won't pay out on the water damage to the walls and carpet (but they will pay out on the hole in the roof), because in your policy it says you have a duty to mitigate damages. You knew the hole was there, you know it will leak, you know a storm may come before you can get it repaired, you know water coming in the hole will do damage...so you should know you have to get it covered temporarily until it can be repaired to keep further damage from happening.

I would think that leaving the keys in the ignition or leaving the door unlocked on a car with a push button start where no key is required, would be failure to mitigate the loss.

fortunately for car owners, that's not the case and I'm kinda surprised more insurance companies haven't adopted that policy yet either.

Last edited:

BlackOutUT

Established Member
True, the key needs to be in the car, but once the car is running you can take the key out and the car will drive as far as it will take you without they key in the car. If I read the story right, the guy had the key in his pocket and it was run through the car wash. The guy basically just jumped in and drove off because it was still running.

I'm not sure about fobs today, but when I was a valet in college, just a few years ago, we had a customer drive all the way home without the fob. Got home and realized he didn't have the fob, and couldn't start the car. We had to take it to him. It sucked lol.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of you guys are dense as hell. Have you never been to a car wash before? You know one of the big ones with about 40 employees all running around doing shit. I'm surprised this isn't an almost everyday occurrence honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread