Is it required that

Me Gusta Mach 1

Established Member
You know all the parts in your car to get it tuned? I just bought an 03 cobra with a bunch of aftermarket and went to get a second key made for it, but they reprogrammed it back to stock settings. I need it tuned but don't know what's in it, does that matter? also I'm driving it from Philly to Colorado, should I get it tuned before I leave? it's putting down around 550-600 on a ported eaton I believe.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, it just seemed like the most correct, I'd be happy to move my post if not though.

also any input would be helpful, because I'm kind of on a time crunch. I'll give any addition info I can.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
First off. Welcome. :beer:

Second. Your car is no where near 550-600 with a ported Eaton.

If you had Ford reflash the stock tune into it, you need to have it retuned.

Yes it is important to know what you have on your car. Without knowing you can not tune it properly.

SJ SNAKE

Venomous
Established Member
I don't think they reflashed the tune if you simply got another key programmed. They do indeed hook up the Anti-Theft programmer to your OBD 2 port, but simply copy the tune and transmit it to the new key.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you buy it from private party or from a dealer? I have a buddy that's a Ford mechanic and they reflash the computer no matter what's done. The two biggest things you need to know are which MAF and injectors you're running.

Me Gusta Mach 1

Established Member
Well we took it to get another key made, and they said they reset something, and now we have a check engine light on and it doesn't give as much kick as it did before. so I'm not sure what they did.

and we got it private party, the guy we bought it from didn't do anything to it, and he got it from someone we can't find yet. so we don't have the full list, but it does have a bigger MAF and larger injectors, a KB BAP, headers. but beyond that I can't give you much more information, the other guy didn't have a good grasp on everything in the car. it was just all from memory from what the last guy did.

Can I take it to someone that can tell me what I have in it? Also is it safe to drive like it is? (relatively* obviously I can't be showboating in it)

Last edited:

SVECobraR

Established Member
I wouldn't get into boost at all. Having a ported and pullied car with aftermarket injectors and maf on a stock tune is a disaster waiting to happen.

To be honest i wouldn't drive it. You will have to spend about 7-8k for a new engine if you blow it due to not having a proper tune in it.

Me Gusta Mach 1

Established Member
Yeah, I think that's best. thanks for the input everyone. it's very much appreciated.

P.s. I guess it's a stegmeier blower.

stangkid

Established Member
Get a tune ASAP if you don't know whats done to it any reputable tuner will be able to look the car over and see what mods are done to it.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
with bigger injectors, bigger maf and bap it looks like it might of had a TS on it. stock injectors and maf with exterder work fine for a ported eaton.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
They might of actually saved you some money on accident.

If you dont have the handheld tuner to reupload the tune, then you would of had to have ford return it to stock anyways. If you DID have the handheld tuner, then you could simply reupload your custom tune and not worry about it.

Definitely get it custom tuned and drive it as little as possible, avoiding boost.

Users who are viewing this thread