Is it too early? (job hunting)

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Guys, I'm trying to get a plan of action together, but don't want to jump the gun....

Here's the skiny - I graduate next may with a degree in Risk Management, Insurance and Financial Planning. I'm really trying to make sure I do what I can to get my name/resume' out there. I've been in the field, and various others in the last few years. I'm ready to get out and get a real job, and start getting stable/saving some money/moving towards a future of some sort.

How early is too early to start looking, or rubbing elbows with folks? Should I try and stick to my field, or look around in anything that looks interesting? Any other advice you guys could give? Where are the best places to look, best folks to talk to?

There are a couple members here that I've talked to, but havent pulled the trigger on actively looking yet. Like I said, I'm mainly just trying to get a plan together, but will happily take any advice/help you guys are willing to give.

Thanks!
-Michael

verbal

Established Member
A lot of bigger companies will start recruiting in the early Fall semester for Spring grads. Does your school have a good job placement service? Start finding out which companies are coming to your school and plan on scheduling interviews. The biggest mistake I made after graduating was waiting until I was close to graduation to find a job. Most companies want to have their college recruits picked well in advance.

stangposse

Established Member
It's never too early.

A good way to get started is to begin a relationship with a recruiter. They will provide much insight as to where the industry stands and what they are looking for.

If you are in a position where you can begin an internship, then you are golden. Usually they don't pay much, and some don't pay at all, but its VERY VERY VERY beneficial to getting started. Aside from the profession itself, you get to see how things work in the real world, how the pros handle themselves and you get to size up the competition.

Most of the time, if you make a great impression, that firm will keep you in mind and so will the employees there.

Call a recruiter!!! Be sure when you meet them and talk to them you are on top of your game....physically and mentally. (remember, you represent them)

Talk to your school if there are any placement facilities!!!

Join some business forums in that profession!!!

Do resume searches online for that profession!!!

And....GET MOVING!!!!!!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Like they said, it's never too early to poke around and network, but I wouldn't apply for jobs just yet since you're still 8 months out.

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Well, I did a paid internship with a local body shop that I'd worked with before, so I'm hoping that'll look good on my resume'. I know it's not what most folks would do with an internship, but it allowed me to keep my current job, and still make some side money. I also got documented experience running a small business in my field.

I plan to get into the career placement center as soon as my internship finishes. Right now, working two full-time work days can be pretty demanding, so I havent had time to really put any effort into a job search.

I am getting myself in better physical shape as well, but mostly for health reasons. I can also see where it would help in the career hunt (hard to sell a car that needs body work). I've lost over 40 lbs since February, and plan to try and lose another 70 before the year's out.

Havent really thought about the forums in my field... Guess it's time to go a-trollin'

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
In this economy I would start my unemployment benefits application now along with sending out resumes.

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Well, I'm currently working and going to school full time. I plan to have something ready when I graduate, which is why I'm trying to get a head start on getting my ducks in a row, so to speak.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
it may not be too early, however you might want to wait another 6-8 months. That way when you do graduate you are still someone fresh in the minds of the companies you are looking to join. But its never too early really.

Users who are viewing this thread