Is it worth it

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
It will give you a crisper throttle response and less restriction when in boost. Youll feel a bit more in the butt dyno when you hit it.

The real problem comes when you need to Smog since youre in SoCal. Even with a smog tune, you'll fail the visual if they are installed when you take it for
inspection. If you don't mind swapping back and forth for smog, Id install them for sure.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Yes it's worth it, even for smog. Swapping those items and loading a tune will take you all of 30 minutes every year you need to smog

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It will give you a crisper throttle response and less restriction when in boost. Youll feel a bit more in the butt dyno when you hit it.

The real problem comes when you need to Smog since youre in SoCal. Even with a smog tune, you'll fail the visual if they are installed when you take it for
inspection. If you don't mind swapping back and forth for smog, Id install them for sure.
California sucks in every way except the landscape. The State known for the Hot Rod revolution is now a disappointment to the world of automotive performance enthusiasts.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have a fp 65mm tb and jlt 127 sitting at home. Wondering is it worth installing and retune or just sell them? The car is a daily and sees a road course as often as time allows
Have you considered throwing a 2.50” upper pulley on there as well? Cost you a $100 or so and you have to get a tune anyway for the CAI. You’ll notice a significant difference with these 3 mods together. That’s what I did with my 07” for the first two years I loved it.

G's Shelby

Established Member
Have you considered throwing a 2.50” upper pulley on there as well? Cost you a $100 or so and you have to get a tune anyway for the CAI. You’ll notice a significant difference with these 3 mods together. That’s what I did with my 07” for the first two years I loved it.
I already have the 2.5 and 90mm idler on vmp 91 tune. Car put 530 on 91.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

If he bought it as a kit, it may have come with a CARB sticker. Just slap the sticker on the underside of the hood, OP, and you should be good to go.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
To my knowledge, the Whipple "Ford Racing" CAI was the only GT500 cold air kit to be CARB approved as was the Ford Racing 65mm TB. And they were approved only as part of the 750hp Ford Racing kit.

Unfortunately California is THAT petty that its only legal when used with the kit (FRPP 50 state tune). :/

Users who are viewing this thread