Is It Worth It?

mach14604

Established Member
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about trucks. I have a baby on the way and I know this will be one of the last times in a great while I will be able to afford a new truck. I just bought a F-250 Diesel Crew Cab in December but I am not happy with it (just from the aspect it does not have all of the options i wanted and because of this I just really want to order another truck with the options I want). My cousin was the one that had got me to look at a diesel and the last time I ordered a truck I wanted a diesel but could not afford it. Towing this summer with the truck was awesome.(I tow a enclosed car hauler at times and open landscape trailer during mowing season). Well my cousin called me today to tell me his 2006 F-250 stopped running and he thinks his Fuel Injector Computer Module took a dump(He is now saying he is done with diesels).
So my question is what to do next? 1.) Do I buy another Diesel or go back to a Gas Engine? 2.) IS the $8000 price tag for a Diesel really worth it in the end? As diesel fuel costs more, and the maintenance and repair is more than gas. (Just from the cost of fuel were does the cost even out or does it even?) 3.) If I do go back to a gasser do I go with the F250 or go to a F-350 or SVT Raptor Crew Cab?

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Tuff call. My dad has an 06 f350 S-cab and I have a 07 F150 Screw Lariat. Both have tuners. His is way more fun, gets better mileage and tows better than mine. But mine rides nicer. I tow a 22' pontoon in the summer as well. I thought about a diesel but I would get into too much trouble with 800ft lbs! He has spent around $3500 in PCM's, sensors and EGR deletes. For an all out work truck you can't go wrong. For a DD and hauling around my family I like the F150.

Alloy Snake

Established Member
I think its worth it,You will get it back on resale value.I traded an 08 f150 on a 2012 F250 and it doesnt ride as good and isnt as good off road but good enough.The fuel mileage towing is 13-14 and regular around town is 15-17,I waited untill I found a deal and got 12k off window sticker.Its a crew cab 4x4 with the ultimate lariat package-Got it for $51k and change.I love all the options.

americansteel

Banned
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about trucks. I have a baby on the way and I know this will be one of the last times in a great while I will be able to afford a new truck. I just bought a F-250 Diesel Crew Cab in December but I am not happy with it (just from the aspect it does not have all of the options i wanted and because of this I just really want to order another truck with the options I want). My cousin was the one that had got me to look at a diesel and the last time I ordered a truck I wanted a diesel but could not afford it. Towing this summer with the truck was awesome.(I tow a enclosed car hauler at times and open landscape trailer during mowing season). Well my cousin called me today to tell me his 2006 F-250 stopped running and he thinks his Fuel Injector Computer Module took a dump(He is now saying he is done with diesels).
So my question is what to do next? 1.) Do I buy another Diesel or go back to a Gas Engine? 2.) IS the $8000 price tag for a Diesel really worth it in the end? As diesel fuel costs more, and the maintenance and repair is more than gas. (Just from the cost of fuel were does the cost even out or does it even?) 3.) If I do go back to a gasser do I go with the F250 or go to a F-350 or SVT Raptor Crew Cab?[/QUOTkee[p

keep the diesel. if you are dead set on getting a gasser than get a F250 6.2l. the raptor is a very stupid idea for towing, especially you have a car trailer and landscaping trailer. your brother being done with diesels just because his FICM took a shit is also very stupid. it happens. I have a 6.0 what a beast, injectors, exhaust and a tad bit more boost. 730TQ cant complain.

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
This is a tough call, however I went from having a gasser to a 05 F250 powerstroke, yes its a little more pricey to maintain but i think its totally worth it. Having more than enough truck to tow (especially your car hauler) vs having a gasser and have it struggle over time the diesel will out last it. I dont think i could ever go back to a gas truck now. Plus having a tuned diesel that hauls anything you want and could be fun on the streets is priceless :) If your getting a newer diesel with the 6.7 its a badass truck... Drove one and loved it.. I have a 6.0 powerstroke studded, all deleted, and tuned.. It runs great with no issues and has been very reliable.

Toybreaker

Resident Curmudgeon.
Established Member
I have a 7.3 F250 4x4
Went from a Chevy 1500 4x4

Needless to say the ford rides rougher but doesn't pull the hills with my trailer on the way out to Glamis at 30 mph and get 4 mpg.

It had just a tuner and went from 14 mpg to 16.5 mpg. ( at the wheels 299 hp 686 Lb / ft)
It now has a chip, modified hpop, injectors and a muffler delete. It gets 16 mpg all stop and go traffic here on guam (max speed limit of 35 mph). I am sure when I get back to the states it will get 20-21 on the highway (provided I am not going 80 MPH)

Diesel is worth it if you tow anything regularly.

When I buy a new (to me anyway) truck I will probably go for a 6.4

Users who are viewing this thread