Is loudness an issue?

fly_tech_texas

Established Member
I am currently in Germany but should be returning to the states next September unless for unforeseen circumstance arrives. Anyhow, is there a limit on how loud your exhaust can be in the states? I currently have a fairly loud set up, but luckily, my car is too new to need a testing by the Germans right now. However, when I get to the states, is this going to be an issue. I can eliminate some sound by getting a catted h-pipe which I should have done in the first place however that is a little pricey for what I want to throw down right now. Please help.

Stang925

Established Member
loudness is and issue here in the states but you have mufflers atleast i dont have longtubes but i have an off road xpipe with jba axleback and its fine its loud but cops like the exhaust. so i think you should be fine unless some asswhole cop pulls you over. bet it sounds pretty good. i know long ass run on sentence lol

David Hester

Established Member
If the region you come back to has smog checks, you will need the cats anyway. I had 3/4 Bassani's with cats and although everyone in the neighborhood knew when I got home or left, no problem with the sound police.
There is a guy a few doors down with a Harley and straight pipes, so maybe I just live in an understanding neighborhood. ;-)
3 chamber, you should be fine anywhere, 2 chamber, I'd spring for the cats.
I have 2 chambers on my A/Sedan car- pretty much what you have in your sig- and it hits 98-101 db just about everywhere we race. It's nev...almost never on the street, though.

Last edited:

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
its fine its loud but cops like the exhaust.

some cops like exhaust.
i was at a stop light one time in my 1972 road runner (sold now) and a cop stopped next to me and he rolled down his window and said "hammer on it!!"
so when it turned green i smoked em off and he gave me a thumbs up. :dancenana:

Last edited:

fly_tech_texas

Established Member
I missed some of the cool cops in the states! While I've enjoyed Germany and the experiences it came with, the people aren't the same as they are where I am from. It's been a while since I've had to register a car in the states, soon to be four years, man that's nuts!!! Thanks for all the heads up. The car sounds great, really tough for what little I have. Some of the Germans love it, but the ones who don't like it far outweigh the ones who do.

Thanks.:beer:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
You might wanna try asking in the doughnut shop. You should also add what state are you moving to, as exhaust laws vary from state to state.

Users who are viewing this thread