Is mine the first smashed Cobra?

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Last night, I-40 in Knoxville TN. Did 360 in the rain and smashed passenger side into Left Side Guard rail.

Heartbroken :cryying:

The engine never stalled and in fact I kept rolling forward when the front end came around, but couldn't steer. The tires and wheels look ok, but I think the right tie rod is broken.

I have to find a positive in this. 1) Does anyone know if any others have been wrecked? Do at at least capture that honor? 2) Since it is going into a shop, I thought about getting stripes put on it.

How would Redfire with 2 white rally stripes look up the hood and roof and down the trunk? If acceptable, wide or narrow stripes? Close togethor? Or should they match the grooves in the hood for the vents?

Thoughts?

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by MackCaddy
Here is the other thread about the wrecked '03. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23007

Sorry but you are not the first to wreck, I spun mine two weeks ago. But I am not the first either. There was a post a couple of months ago about a guy who brought his in for service and they smashed the front of his car up really bad. The car was brand new and I do not know if he got a new one or they repaired it. I won't get mine back until mid December. Good luck with your repair, mine looks worse than it is......Steve

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
1) Does anyone know if any others have been wrecked? Do at at least capture that honor?

Honor? Put the pipe down.... No flame, but there is no honor in wreaking your Stang, first, last or ever.....

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Sorry...should have put honor in quotations. Certainly I feel no pride in it.

Saw your Pics Needspeed. That looks really unfortunate. I'm sorry to see that.

Why so long to repair? Did it turn out that there was considerable non-cosmetic damage? I'm hoping mine turns out to be all skin damage (except for the steering problem) and I don't lose it for more than a couple of weeks. Every wreck I've ever had has been on a Saturday, and its always waiting through sunday to get it looked at that kills me.

What was the estimate on yours if you don't mind?

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
Sorry...should have put honor in quotations. Certainly I feel no pride in it.

Saw your Pics Needspeed. That looks really unfortunate. I'm sorry to see that.

Why so long to repair? Did it turn out that there was considerable non-cosmetic damage? I'm hoping mine turns out to be all skin damage (except for the steering problem) and I don't lose it for more than a couple of weeks. Every wreck I've ever had has been on a Saturday, and its always waiting through sunday to get it looked at that kills me.

What was the estimate on yours if you don't mind?

There is some pulling to be done and it took them over a week to get it on the rack. Plus Thanksgiving gets in the way. They are estimating 12-13K and they are repainting everything but the roof. I rather they take thier time since the repairs are gauranteed and I want the car to be as perfect as new if possible.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Copperhead the honor of first wreck goes out to a dude in Houston he wrecked his I think about a month after he got it, very controversial conditions on how it occured, but I think it happened sometime in July. Also a big NIX on the stripes.:beer: :beer:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Ok Ok...the stripes seem to be a no go. What about a giant chrome wing and some graphics? (kidding)

Turns out a tanker truck spilled a load of Diesel fuel earlier in the day where I spun.

I knew it felt like I was on Ball Bearings.

Course, driving the Cobra, no one seems to believe I was going any slower than 165mph when the wreck happened. I was going 50mph.

Needspeed...good luck on yours man. I have found the biggest heartache not to be knowing it is damaged, or being sick since I just bought it, but rather the worst pain is simply being seperated from it for the next few weeks.

Needspeed...how do you cope?!

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
Ok Ok...the stripes seem to be a no go. What about a giant chrome wing and some graphics? (kidding)

Turns out a tanker truck spilled a load of Diesel fuel earlier in the day where I spun.

I knew it felt like I was on Ball Bearings.

Course, driving the Cobra, no one seems to believe I was going any slower than 165mph when the wreck happened. I was going 50mph.

Needspeed...good luck on yours man. I have found the biggest heartache not to be knowing it is damaged, or being sick since I just bought it, but rather the worst pain is simply being seperated from it for the next few weeks.

Needspeed...how do you cope?!

I go to the shop and check on the progress they are making. I really do miss my ride. Right now the car is in pieces and it is hard to believe that it will be OK when they are done. They are going to pull the motor, I am wondering if I should do LT Headers/Shorties or leave well enough alone?

Clicky here to see the mess: http://home.attbi.com/~stesom/

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
As I said man...find a positive. The headers would certainly be just that.

Maybe now would be a good time to put in a roll cage:)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
There is some pulling to be done and it took them over a week to get it on the rack. Plus Thanksgiving gets in the way. They are estimating 12-13K and they are repainting everything but the roof. I rather they take thier time since the repairs are gauranteed and I want the car to be as perfect as new if possible.

NeedSpeed - DO NOT LET THEM SKIP THE ROOF!!!! BIG mistake in my opinion, you run a real risk of not getting a really tight match. The roof would not add that much (if anything) to the repair cost. I would INSIST they do it as well. My car, to the best of my knowledge has never been wreaked, but I find it interesting there is a slight shade difference between the roof and the rest of the car. Not something I would want to see on another car.

mosconiac

Established Member
Copperhead: Sorry to see your misfortune.

Not to add insult to injury, but I've taken a look at the photos posted above and I noticed in the 7th & 8th photos that the radiator has been scuffed by their tools. Check that area carefully for damage.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Forane...Do you get to do any racing at Thunder Valley? I've thought about bringing it up there when I get it back. Just curios if you ever make the short trip.

forane2001

Established Member
Running at Bristol

Copperhead I have heard of a few 03's running at the fun ford weekend a few months back. I have not put mine on the strip. Personally, I consider myself to be an excellent driver but I am not a drag racer. I probably would do something stupid and wreck my car or tear something up. Bristol is supposed to be a tough track from what I hear. I hope you get your car fixed. Its not fair for anyone to mess up such a beautiful car. Glad you were not hurt. That stretch of I 40 thru knoxville is a death trap in my opinion. Let me know if you are at any local car shows maybe we can hook up sometime. I put mine in a local car show up here and got a first place trophy back in September. Are there any more 03's around? I came to a Tennessee game not long ago and I saw a white convert sitting on the side of the street down there. I knew it was an 03 because of the hood. well good luck on getting your car fixed. God bless

:D

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
There are not many 03's aside from mine here. I've seen only two others. There are a ton at the dealerships though. But they are marked up over MSRP so much no one will touch them.

Maybe I'll see you at the Big Show in Pigeon Forge in May.

Sorry to hear you went to a Tennessee game. I am Alumni, and I feel I owe much of the world an apology for supporting their sorry effort.

NewGuy

Just a new guy dropping in to see what others are saying, and what I can learn about my new 03 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread