Is my Blower holding me back?

J's98Snake

Established Member
So, I have a mildly built motor: 4.75 MMR stroker @ 9.5:1, comp stage III cams, P&P B-heads, accufab TB, stock 98 intake.

I have a V1 S-trim with a 3.0 pully and a 5.4 crank pully. At 6900 rpm I see 15 psi but that's because the motor breaths so well. On a stock motor I'm sure I'd be seeing 18-20 psi.

So, I know I'm spinning the sh1t outta the s-trim, would a more efficient blower ala a T-trim or bigger make much of a difference without changing anything else? I'd keep the 3.0 blower pully.

Thanks, Jake

BlackVenom99

Established Member
At this point going to anything less then say the JT trim wouldn't be worth the cost vs the gains. I do believe you are maxed out, and have to decide how much more you want.

Are you randomly shooting for more power, or is there a time (E.T.) you've been looking to hit that is out of your reach? You should be mid to low 10's with the power in your sig. Even faster if you're on a diet.

J's98Snake

Established Member
At this point going to anything less then say the JT trim wouldn't be worth the cost vs the gains. I do believe you are maxed out, and have to decide how much more you want.

Are you randomly shooting for more power, or is there a time (E.T.) you've been looking to hit that is out of your reach? You should be mid to low 10's with the power in your sig. Even faster if you're on a diet.

No power or ET goal. I had a horrible outting at the track recently where I couldn't hook at all through the 330 mark. I was lifting and rolling into the gas, as soon as the boost would come on spin city. I was shifting into 3rd about 10 mph too slow due to the spining putting me at 7K instantly.

the best 60' i could cut was a 2.0 running a 12.5 @ 114. I was picking up 26 mph in the second 1/8 which is respectable with a DA of 5000.

To answer your question, my cars performance has shaken my confidence and I'm looking to leap the building in a single leap.

I was running MT DRs, 255/xx/15, I used to run slicks and cut 1.5 60's all day.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
If it's like one of the first S-trims you're out of blower bro. No way around it.. I wouldn't step up to a YSI.. I'm not very impressed with them unless you spinning stupid RPM and pulleying the car for 25psi.. The JT-trim are a great blower for sure.

I would look at what rpm you want to be spinning the blower to and go from there..

J's98Snake

Established Member
If it's like one of the first S-trims you're out of blower bro. No way around it.. I wouldn't step up to a YSI.. I'm not very impressed with them unless you spinning stupid RPM and pulleying the car for 25psi.. The JT-trim are a great blower for sure.

I would look at what rpm you want to be spinning the blower to and go from there..

It's an old s-trim from way back in 2000 or slightly earlier. I was rebuilt once and came back with a GT impeller?? which I was told was a good thing...

My car makes power all the way to 6800, she was still making power but I was thinking safe and didn't want to push my luck. Now I'm thinking I want to spin her until she stops making power, as you stated I'm pretty sure I'm out of blower.

if when I swap the s/c I'll post up an increases ect..

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Ok I'll be that guy...More power won't make you faster if you can't use what you've got.

And a stupid question that I overlooked, Is that (5.4 pulley) an 8 rib conversion, or was I wrong in that assumption? If it is just a stock 8 rib truck conversion, it appears as though you could try to get some more rpm's out of your current supercharger by either going to a 2.8 supercharger pulley or a 10% overdrive. The overdrive is recommended.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
IMO the intake is holding you back...

Doesnt matter what intake he has if his blower is out of steam, I know there is plenty of power to be had with other intakes but there have also been good numbers made on 98 intakes. It all depends on how much power the OP is looking to gain ad how much coin he is going to drop. I think 98 Saleen Cobra is still on stock style intake, as well and is making a tad more hp than the op

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Intake isn't the issue.. I'm on a stock 01 intake and it's not bottlenecking at all. The intake will make a lot of power. It's def the blower.. Those old school S-trims just don't put out the CFM or the blower RPM that built motors need. His car is making great power for that little S-trim though.

To the OP: I wouldn't worry about the RPM your spinning with the car.. It's a lot of wear and tear on the motor. Don't get me wrong though I'm all about spinnin the motor high but the power curve isnt' going to be where you want it imo..

J's98Snake

Established Member
Ok I'll be that guy...More power won't make you faster if you can't use what you've got.

And a stupid question that I overlooked, Is that (5.4 pulley) an 8 rib conversion, or was I wrong in that assumption? If it is just a stock 8 rib truck conversion, it appears as though you could try to get some more rpm's out of your current supercharger by either going to a 2.8 supercharger pulley or a 10% overdrive. The overdrive is recommended.

It's a 5.4 8-rib. Getting the power I have to ther ground is a matter of swapping my rear tires. I ran slicks for about 8 yrs and consistantly cut 1.48 - 1.52.

Despite the spinning I thought I would have had a bigger top end speed. I'm just frustrated, I think a well prepped track and some slicks will settle me down.

Users who are viewing this thread