Is my response too aggressive to a potential customer?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Except for the fact that the guy acts like he's a ****ing expert on how much things cost in construction and how easy the project is, and wants me to defend what I tell him against his disillusion expectations. **** people like that. I don't negotiate from a losing position.

So youre admitting it's personal.

Dude, let go of your feelings and be smarter than he is while taking his money.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
In a different field but deal with proposals and client relations in land development.

Some clients are completely out to lunch with pricing for development. My boss can get short at times and it's never really paid off. We had a client with 40k unpaid fees and the plan had to re-designed due to a fault from a surveyor. Boss tells him to kick rocks in an more unpleasent way and we ended up dragged in a suit over the project. Even though it wasn't our surveyor nor fault for the bad info. Ended up settling via insurance.
In my opinion, had he been more willing to work with the client, it wouldn't of gone that route.

I handle 95% of our proposals. Even if we don't get a project, I have gotten referrals from those clients over being respectful.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
There’s nothing positive at all, that can come from your response to him. He doesn’t want to waste his time anymore than you want to have your time wasted. He simply has no idea what the cost of building is, and what he can get for $150k. Simply tell him the average cost per sq foot for the remodels you do, puts him at $400k, and you’re booked through 2024.

Refer him to a colleague you hate, and say my friend “x” likes to work with people on jobs on his scale, and move on.

Your reply serves absolutely no purpose, other than being mean. It’s just not necessary.

Having recently built a house way more into 7 figures than I wanted to be, I realize how insane building costs can be compared to just 5-10 years ago. That being said, I was weird about certain costs that were a drop in the bucket compared to the project cost. Our builder was awesome. A good builder learns to relate to people of all walks of life. You never know who knows who and where your next customer is going to be referred from

If he doesn’t know he should request the quote and move on if he doesn’t like the estimate. Get a minimum of 3 quotes for any job and go with who you feel most comfortable with.

The customer sounds like a ****ing douche and I don’t blame Tim one bit for not wanting to deal with that shit head for months on end.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Home Depot double garage kit for just under $20K.

Tell customer to hire 3 migrant workers. About $1000/wk each. (10 hrs/day × 7 × $15/hr = $1050)

They build the garage first day and live in it for the rest of the project.

Owner tells them what he wants and they 'acquire' the fixtures and materials, charging 20 cents per dollar on the retail price.

6 weeks later the project is finished for around $68K.

I hear from snowbird friends that this is how people do additions and renovations in Arizona.

Customer gets what he wants and you don't have to work with him. Win/win.
There's no migrant workers that are going to do that work for 15hr in my area soo....

Blackoyote

Established Member
Since this is what you do for a living, what do you think this would cost me? Nothing fancy, this is a cookie cutter vinyl siding spec home.

HOA has given me approval to add on another garage to my house, rough scope is:

30x15 foundation/pad expansion
Relocate utility meters from side of house to side of expanded garage
Framing 3 walls, tie into existing structure
Vinyl siding
Roofing
Minimal electrical - dozen or so outlets
10' wide garage door
side entry door

No drywall, no insulation, etc.

Are we talking $40k or $80k for a suuuuper basic build?

Adower

Established Member
Personally, I think its a dick response. Look at it from the customers side of view. They probably have never done any large scale project like this. I know that prior to doing major remodeling I couldn't see how a kitchen could cost 100K. You do this daily so its not foreign to you on the pricing side of things.

Last edited:

5.2Leader

Established Member
Your response is pretty unwarranted, it legitimately sounds like the guy just doesn’t understand what things cost. Take it as a teaching moment and share with him your foundation costs etc. to explain how his budget will not even achieve 1/4 of what he’s asking for, thank him for his interest, and move on.

^^^This^^^
Kill him with professionalism, facts and good customer service. If things don’t work out doing business together. Who knows he could tell others how professional you were, you were a straight shooter and toss business your way. Who knows, maybe he’s just a tight wad and has a ton more in his budget and is just holding his cards close to his chest.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

dan1982

Established Member
Pretty sure OP was describing someone who wanted a 500K "money mayweather" kitchen but could only afford the kiddie playset they sold in Toys R Us in the 90s

how about you? you ever own your own business? asking for a friend.
im worried bro... can u read? he said he does 400K dollar kitchens like an arrogant POS. If he was anybodyt at all and such a high roller.... he wouldnt have even reponded to the guy with the unrealistic budget. thanks for looking. Im guessing he drives a POS also. maybe a GTP.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Doesn’t sound like you want advice at all, as you’ve tried to defend your position at every turn. Just respond to the guy and update us on what he says. Best case, you told him, and he does his business elsewhere. Worst case, he has the money, does his business elsewhere, and also spreads the word (with receipts) of your unprofessionalism. If you don’t care, then send that email and don’t look back. [/end thread]

dan1982

Established Member
Doesn’t sound like you want advice at all, as you’ve tried to defend your position at every turn. Just respond to the guy and update us on what he says. Best case, you told him, and he does his business elsewhere. Worst case, he has the money, does his business elsewhere, and also spreads the word (with receipts) of your unprofessionalism. If you don’t care, then send that email and don’t look back. [/end thread]
hes arrogant.........

tistan

Established Member
Trunck_02.JPG
Trunck_03.JPG
Trunck_04.JPG
Trunck_05.JPG
Trunck_06.JPG

tistan

Established Member
that's a cool idea putting the butcher block in the island like that. beautiful job also
Thanks, it was actually the clients idea. After 25 years of doing this it isn't every day you get to incorporate a new idea. I'm sure it has been done before, but I can't say I've ever seen it. The only downside to it, which probably wouldn't be a problem in other parts of the country with more humidy, it shrunk about 1/2" and left a 1/4" gap where it met the countertop. We had to redo it once it fully acclimated.

Users who are viewing this thread