Is my TOB bad?

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Car drove fine for past couple years. 9000 miles on it. Drove home from a restaurant tonight and I heard this rattling sound, like metal in a can, coming from the transmission. I thought it was a loose exhaust clamp or something. I noticed that the noise was very loud in fourth gear, but was evident in every gear. It would stop with the clutch pushed in.

I bet it's the TOB. Time to go to the tranny shop with upgrades I guess. :(

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
hmm. I got the TSB for the tube. Ill take it down to the dealer and see what they will say. Now, will they give me problems since I have a pulley and upgraded radiator? I would think if there is a TSB they have to do it.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I changed my 20k mile TOB today, the tube was perfect but the grease on the tube was clutch dust crust.
Cleaned up perfect no wear, no gouging. put a lil grease on input shaft bearing and tob tube and slapped it back in. Runs great with the new x pipe and TOB.
The inferior ford TOB inside would click 1/8" from side to side and run off center, what a pos. That pressed in tob tube seems pretty mickey mouse, I'm glad mine was in such good shape, TOB been making noise for about a week.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Narcosynthesis said:
hmm. I got the TSB for the tube. Ill take it down to the dealer and see what they will say. Now, will they give me problems since I have a pulley and upgraded radiator? I would think if there is a TSB they have to do it.

Wrong. They don't have to do it. A TSB is not a recall...it's a Technical Service Bulletin. They can void your drive train warranty. If I were you, I would ask around here on the forum and try and find a friendly dealer!

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
actually, I think its my driver side cat that is messed up. I got under the car this morning and thing was rattling like mad, especially at start up, then it would get quiet and when you rev the motor, it would rattle again.

Users who are viewing this thread