Is primer necessary over a white car.... when painting.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Rolled my rally car, bought a donor, chopped it up and using it. The car will be all white except where I welded.

My question: Is primer needed everywhere else? The colors i'm spraying will be a viper blue and flat black, in different areas.

Single stage urethane. It doesnt have to be the best paint job; i'm going to be thrashing it out on gravel roads here again soon. I just dont want the paintjob to turn out like complete garbage.

My plan, primer bare metal (probably rattle can it since there's so little of it). Sand the primer, sand the clear everywhere i'm going to paint. Spray the urethane with my gun/compressor.

Anything above.... shitty is probably acceptable.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
Rattle can primer is mostly garbage and the catalyzed single stage will sometimes react funny with it resulting in a shitty job.

Primer is only needed on the bare metal areas. The rest of the car that is alreadypainted can be sanded with ~400 grit and then resprayed.

Prep is key whenever your painting though.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Rattle can primer is mostly garbage and the catalyzed single stage will sometimes react funny with it resulting in a shitty job.

Primer is only needed on the bare metal areas. The rest of the car that is alreadypainted can be sanded with ~400 grit and then resprayed.

Prep is key whenever your painting though.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe i'll buy a quart, I have the reducer and hardener anyways.

Just going to be priming so little of it, didn't want to spend the money, but I will.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Like was said, prep is key.

Prime bare metal, and scuff everything you want the paint to stick to, or it will come off. Working at a body shop, wed hit it with 320, or red scotchbrite before we'd send it to paint.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
Kame sure you use a primer for bare metal. Not all primer will go direct to metal. Epoxy is best for sealing. If the old paint is good you dont have to prime. Any place you do body work you will need to prime. I would prime the whole thing myself. You will get a much more even paint job.

Users who are viewing this thread