Is the 03-04 Cobra the Beast it was 7-10+ Years Ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It honestly felt like it was tearing a hole through time itself when i blasted into 2nd and 3rd gear.

Just a total blast to drive.

I’ll eventually own another as well someday.

What I remember most was the lack of sound deadening, the loud factory exhaust, and that brutal torque that came on INSTANTLY.

These cars were the 03/04 Cobra's primary competition from a pure acceleration standpoint.

I remember watching lots of videos of the two cars competing and the rivalry was strong!

The road and field of vision narrow quickly in those cars when you go WOT. Mine was full exhaust, fast intake manifold and futral cam car. The loud pedal always brought a smile to my face.

x10. I remember that too. That car seemed to gobble up the road and build speed unbelievably fast.

It was dangerous going WOT on anything other than the highway because you ran out of road so quickly.

At least that's how it felt! lol

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
What I remember most was the lack of sound deadening, the loud factory exhaust, and that brutal torque that came on INSTANTLY.

These cars were the 03/04 Cobra's primary competition from a pure acceleration standpoint.

I remember watching lots of videos of the two cars competing and the rivalry was strong!
I remember those days, I was always rooting for the Cobra! Its crazy how a Cobra could take down a c5z (mods on the cobra of course). Almost 600lb weight difference between the two.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
So I think some might be missing the point on this issue. I went to a local car show recently and there were all kinds of chevelles, novas, tri-five chevy's, etc.... cars that in thier hey day were "street beasts". Now they couldn't take a Honda minivan.

So if they aren't competitive to newer vehicles, why are they loved and driven by thier owners to this day? The answer is a car's relevance to newer models is as much thier contrast as thier comparison. Each of those owners have pride in ownership and feel things while driving in thier beloved chariots that other people will never fully grasp.

I'm not a corvair fan, but they have a cult following with some. People have different opinions on what cars still rule or now rule the streets. There will never be a full consensus on one in particular because cars evoke different emotions with different people.

The 03/04 Cobra will always be a relevant street beast as long as there are people who own and/or admire them. Not many cars are special enough for that honor.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So I think some might be missing the point on this issue. I went to a local car show recently and there were all kinds of chevelles, novas, tri-five chevy's, etc.... cars that in thier hey day were "street beasts". Now they couldn't take a Honda minivan.

So if they aren't competitive to newer vehicles, why are they loved and driven by thier owners to this day? The answer is a car's relevance to newer models is as much thier contrast as thier comparison. Each of those owners have pride in ownership and feel things while driving in thier beloved chariots that other people will never fully grasp.

I'm not a corvair fan, but they have a cult following with some. People have different opinions on what cars still rule or now rule the streets. There will never be a full consensus on one in particular because cars evoke different emotions with different people.

The 03/04 Cobra will always be a relevant street beast as long as there are people who own and/or admire them. Not many cars are special enough for that honor.

Agree 100% to the theory you present.

OP's questions though, is "is the Cobra still the beast it was 7-10 years ago".

My opinion is no. It's a beast in its own right sure and has a special place in history as you point out..... but the same street beast it was 7-10 years ago? Absolutely not.

Most who appreciate performance and not brand or model will agree.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Well said. Thank you.

roadracer247

Established Member
To this day, a H/C/I/E C5Z will handily beat most sleds out there. I love me some Terminators, but the C5Z is no joke.
Very true. An absolute beast. I still think about what a great weekend warrior one of these would be. So light and easy to work on...

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

My opinion is no. It's a beast in its own right sure and has a special place in history as you point out..... but the same street beast it was 7-10 years ago? Absolutely not.

And that is where you are soundly wrong. Plenty of Cobras out there dollar for dollar running fast times and more then able to embarrass a new Hellcat or Coyote owner.

This can't be said for something like a '74 Nova or a '68 Fastback.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

Finally, someone with a thought out response.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

If you want my opinion, the Cobra was a monster when it was first released. It is still a monster today. However, it never stood a chance against a WS6 Trans Am. Add moss to both, and the Pontiac still wins.

Does this take anything away from the Cobra? No, not at all. The SVT Cobra will always be an amazing car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
And that is where you are soundly wrong. Plenty of Cobras out there dollar for dollar running fast times and more then able to embarrass a new Hellcat or Coyote owner.

This can't be said for something like a '74 Nova or a '68 Fastback.

Plenty except yours, I guess right?

Yours only embarrasses your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want my opinion, the Cobra was a monster when it was first released. It is still a monster today. However, it never stood a chance against a WS6 Trans Am. Add moss to both, and the Pontiac still wins.

Does this take anything away from the Cobra? No, not at all. The SVT Cobra will always be an amazing car.

I’m not following on the WS6 trans am?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread