Is the car driveable with a blown FRPS?

liedenfrost

Established Member
I just filled the car up this afternoon and it quit on me while at a stoplight about 3 miles down the road. The car is bucking and kicking on acceleration, so I limped home with it. Trouble code P0190 popped up, which usually means that a blown FRPS, but the car is still driveable. Do I just have a clogged fuel filter? I'm waiting for the engine to cool down, so I can pull the vacuum line off the FRPS to see if I can smell fuel. Any other ideas?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I have the same exact problem.. Subing also.

By the way. I have not heard the name or the term Liedenfrost since college. Nicely chosen name.

Last edited:

liedenfrost

Established Member
I have the same exact problem.. Subing also.

By the way. I have not heard the name or the term Liedenfrost since college. Nicely chosen name.

Yeah, I'm a geek! (Chemical Engineer) You are the first person who even had an idea. Congratulations also on being a geek. :)

I've been talking to a few folks. The problem is most likely a clogged fuel filter, or electronic failure of the FRPS. Almost everyone seems to have issues with mechanical failure of the diaphragm rather than electronic. I will replace the FRPS tomorrow evening and let everyone know if it was electronic failure of the FRPS. I don't think the car is driveable with a blown FRPS since fuel will get sucked into the manifold through the vacuum line attached to it. Most guys will unplug the electrical to the FRPS so that the car is driveable when it blows. I guess the fuel pressure defaults to a certain level which will allow you to limp home and drive the car. This could definitely be my problem since I was able to drive home, although it was running like crap.

Last edited:

Cobra_Meth

Established Member
frps

I found by mistake if you blow the diaphram on the FRPS and unhook the vacuum line the car will run and you can actually limp it home... Make sure to change the oil when alone with the FRPS when you get home.

04cobra13

Established Member
I think you can unhook it and limp it around to get another one. As stated above change the oil after you replace the old frps..

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Yeah, I'm a geek! (Chemical Engineer) You are the first person who even had an idea. Congratulations also on being a geek. :)

I've been talking to a few folks. The problem is most likely a clogged fuel filter, or electronic failure of the FRPS. Almost everyone seems to have issues with mechanical failure of the diaphragm rather than electronic. I will replace the FRPS tomorrow evening and let everyone know if it was electronic failure of the FRPS. I don't think the car is driveable with a blown FRPS since fuel will get sucked into the manifold through the vacuum line attached to it. Most guys will unplug the electrical to the FRPS so that the car is driveable when it blows. I guess the fuel pressure defaults to a certain level which will allow you to limp home and drive the car. This could definitely be my problem since I was able to drive home, although it was running like crap.

I am a registered P.E. with the state of Indiana and a couple others.

Anyway, my problems came just two days after hooking up a new Kenne Bell BAP. So I hope mine is not electrical!

I am going to also order a new FRPS today and see if that will work. I am out of town in Traverse City for the week so I wont be able to give feedback until next Saturday. Good luck everyone on their fixes.

Stalker27

Established Member
I think you can unhook it and limp it around to get another one. As stated above change the oil after you replace the old frps..

LOL..yes you can disconnect i & limp it home. I don even own a cobra yet & i know that.

Another thing i know when i get mine i will keep a spare FRPS in the glovebox at all times

liedenfrost

Established Member
LOL..yes you can disconnect i & limp it home. I don even own a cobra yet & i know that.

Another thing i know when i get mine i will keep a spare FRPS in the glovebox at all times

Yeah, I had one in my trunk and swapped it out. Evidently, the electronics failed, not the diaphragm. Almost everyone seems to blow the diaphragm....except me. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread