Is the mach motor the supreme ohc motor?

Machinator

Banned
I had a 03 Mach before I traded it on the 04 Cobra and it was def the strongest N/A 4valve ford motor I have ever driven. I put 4.10's, full exhaust, coldair kit, and tune and it ran like a raped ape and never ever gave me trouble. It was a great motor.

Mach170

evangelist
Established Member
Not to hi jack the thread, but how much better do the mach 1's 4 V OHC motors perform than the 05-06 GT 3V motors?

merfsiu

Established Member
Mach170 said:
Not to hi jack the thread, but how much better do the mach 1's 4 V OHC motors perform than the 05-06 GT 3V motors?

IMO
On paper 300 vs. 305 but the mach motor is really closer to 320. Driving a 05, i found the mach to have alot more mid range and a little more top end power. However, from what a have read, the 3 v motors seem to respond better to boltons and have already established a strong aftermarket.

SteveChris

Established Member
sorry but i have to..why do most mach owners i see believe tons of hype about the mach1?? i like them, i consider then the same as my 01 cobra. but people talk about them as if theyre underrated by 60hp..as if 305 is so different from 320.
the only thing i see the mach having as better is gears, correct me if im wrong but they come with 3.55s right?
other then that..whats the big difference??? and dont give me here-say.."i know a guy who knows a guy who said theyre underrated and really run around 360hp"

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
SteveChris said:
sorry but i have to..why do most mach owners i see believe tons of hype about the mach1?? i like them, i consider then the same as my 01 cobra. but people talk about them as if theyre underrated by 60hp..as if 305 is so different from 320.
the only thing i see the mach having as better is gears, correct me if im wrong but they come with 3.55s right?
other then that..whats the big difference??? and dont give me here-say.."i know a guy who knows a guy who said theyre underrated and really run around 360hp"

My car dynoed 292/311 on a dyno jet. If you apply the widely accepted 15% driveline loss to that number it comes to a crank rating of 335.8bhp; a bit different than the 305('03) or 310 ('04) they're rated at... The MACh1 also has the 3:55 gears like you said, and I'm not sure of the suspension differences between an '01 Cobra and MACh1 (with the exception of IRS), but I know that a MACh1 handles quite nicely in stock form too. Both share the same 13" Brembo/Baer brakes for both cars though. :burnout:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I love my 01 Cobra however....the Mach does benifit from better heads, and cam profiles not to mention 3.55 gears vice 3.27s and the solid axle (no wheel hop). I looked at the Machs for alittle while but i stuck with my 01 Cobra. The deciding factor for me was the way my Cobra handled over the Mach.

Is it the best N/A OHV engine??...hardly the 5.8 in the 00R, and the 5.0 cammer come to mind.

Does it kick ass for what it is??? damn right it does

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Double"O" said:
I love my 01 Cobra however....the Mach does benifit from better heads, and cam profiles not to mention 3.55 gears vice 3.27s and the solid axle (no wheel hop). I looked at the Machs for alittle while but i stuck with my 01 Cobra. The deciding factor for me was the way my Cobra handled over the Mach.

Is it the best N/A OHV engine??...hardly the 5.8 in the 00R, and the 5.0 cammer come to mind.

Does it kick ass for what it is??? damn right it does

maybe you can help me out... What are the specific suspension difference between a MACh1 and '01 Cobra. I know of the IRS in the Cobra, but doesn't that really only make a difference in broken curves? The shocks, springs, and sway bars are the same correct?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
maybe you can help me out... What are the specific suspension difference between a MACh1 and '01 Cobra. I know of the IRS in the Cobra, but doesn't that really only make a difference in broken curves? The shocks, springs, and sway bars are the same correct?

The Springs are different with slightly different rates as well. Shocks and swaybars are the same though i think not sure

The Mach seemed to understeer more than my cobra does, much like my GT did

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
If anyone has any Mach 1 stock dynos that are close to the average of 272.4 RWHP and 293.1 RWTQ.

I am trying to do an actual acceleration comparison between the Machs and '05 Mustang GTs.

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
SoftBatch said:
If anyone has any Mach 1 stock dynos that are close to the average of 272.4 RWHP and 293.1 RWTQ.

I am trying to do an actual acceleration comparison between the Machs and '05 Mustang GTs.
Then mine must have been above average, but here's my stock dyno sheet.

Mach1Dyno_1a.jpg

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
My car dynoed 292/311 on a dyno jet. If you apply the widely accepted 15% driveline loss to that number it comes to a crank rating of 335.8bhp; a bit different than the 305('03) or 310 ('04) they're rated at... The MACh1 also has the 3:55 gears like you said, and I'm not sure of the suspension differences between an '01 Cobra and MACh1 (with the exception of IRS), but I know that a MACh1 handles quite nicely in stock form too. Both share the same 13" Brembo/Baer brakes for both cars though. :burnout:

the 15% drivetrain loss would come out to a little more than 340. my mach 1 dyno'd at 278 on a superflo dyno and and the computer said that it was more likely a 17% loss. which it calculated my crank horsepower at 334. the shop also had engine dyno in which they often compare actuall crank(engine dyno), and wheel(chasis dyno) power on the same computer software.

yes the mach 1 engine was underrated just as the 03/04 mustang svt engines.

1meanmach

Established Member
XCELR8 said:

sorry new to svtperformance but the mach1 has factory subframe connectors
cobras dont

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The IRS makes a difference in any type of curve. The IRS doesn't move side to side like a solid. Also, over rough pavement it won't upset the car like a solid will.

1meanmach

Established Member
yes i agree but the cobra does not have them and yet another defference between the mach & cobra mach's are supposed to have 1" lower springs

experiment626

ALL MOTOR CARS RULE
Established Member
heads on mach1

the heads on a mach1 are off a lincoln navagator 02-04. I know I just had mine at the dealer for a wiped cam and the service write and tech told me that they were the same heads on a navagator.Just check the part number. And the blocks, rods,and crank are left over new edge corba parts. the only differance is the piston to make comperssion higher on the mach.Plus look at the bullet the mach1 has its interior.It makes wonder if this car was a failed abortion, I love mind but its made of every left over part ford had on its shelf.Just my .02 cents :p

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
experiment626 said:
the heads on a mach1 are off a lincoln navagator 02-04. I know I just had mine at the dealer for a wiped cam and the service write and tech told me that they were the same heads on a navagator.Just check the part number. And the blocks, rods,and crank are left over new edge corba parts. the only differance is the piston to make comperssion higher on the mach.Plus look at the bullet the mach1 has its interior.It makes wonder if this car was a failed abortion, I love mind but its made of every left over part ford had on its shelf.Just my .02 cents :p

UMMM, are you sure about that? Did you actually look up the part numbers?

The intake CAM is the same off of the navigator and expedition (5.4L). The Exhaust cam and heads are the exact same as the 03-04 Cobra's. I think that Service writer and Tech were a tad confused.

Users who are viewing this thread