Is the new F150 really that good?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I'm hoping that I might get my Cobra paid off this year and if I do I might be looking to trade my beater '95 Jeep Cherokee in on a new F150 FX4. I'm just curious if the redesigned F150 is really as good as all of the hype? Are There any known issues or recals?

I'm also curious about the FlexFuel Vehicle (FFV) option? I think I might opt for this in an effort to be kinder to the planet as well as help "break our adicton to foreign oil". Is there a switch or something in the cab you flip to convert from one fuel type to the other like E85? What is the milage like on E85 v. regular unleaded gasoline?

Thanx for any input! :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm not sure about then new FFV option, but the new F-150 is great. Just test drive one, I'm sure you'll like it.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
If you get a 2006, all the little kinks are pretty much ironed out.

I absolutely love my 2005 and no real problems other than a loose intake hose. :beer:

REX-RACER

Established Member
Thanx for the insight guys. I will probably look at test driving one later this year and buying maybe in the late fall or early winter when the discounts hit for the new model year . . . assuming everything goes well.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Your test drive will be like no other truck you've ever experienced.

My 04 has no issues as of today at 25k miles. Its been great.. And I thought my 94 was the cats meow, but thats peanuts to the new ones.

And no, there is no FFV option on the F150s...Rangers yes. Tauri yes.

FordRacing200

Banned
I took out a 05 F-150 XLT supercrew, the ride qaulity was amazing as was the handling, the fit and finish and comfort level was also outstanding, my only gripe was the absoloutly positively gutless 4.6-auto driveline in it, i was so disappointed that it took for freaking ever to do 102mph and then when it got ripped back into 2nd gear (via the shift lever,lol) for a quick wing it shut down!!

REX-RACER

Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
I took out a 05 F-150 XLT supercrew, the ride qaulity was amazing as was the handling, the fit and finish and comfort level was also outstanding, my only gripe was the absoloutly positively gutless 4.6-auto driveline in it, i was so disappointed that it took for freaking ever to do 102mph and then when it got ripped back into 2nd gear (via the shift lever,lol) for a quick wing it shut down!!
Everybody I have talked to has said definitely go w/ the 5.4/3v although some said they didn't like the throttle-by-wire becuase the acceleration didn't seem that great. I hear a CAI and flash tune really wakes that up though.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
yes, as with the 05 gt, the flash and tune wakes it up, if anyone does buy one they should no doubt go for the 5.4 because the 4.6 sucks.

Tune and gears with the 5.4 3v is good stuff.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
FATHERFORD said:
Tune and gears with the 5.4 3v is good stuff.

I was looking at gears, but I'm concerned a little about highway mileage if I go too high. I'm already at 3.77 but could use a little extra oomph because of the Roush 20's.

REX-RACER

Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
go with 4.30's, you have overdrive, so it wont bother you.

When you get gears for a 4x4, I'm assuming you are going to change out the ring & pinion for both the front and rear axles? Or do you just need to change one r & p at the transfer case?

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Guys have claimed that went from 3.55's to 4.56's with stock tires to only see 1mpg drop on the highway and increased in town..

Don't fear the gear.

FordRacing200

Banned
REX-RACER said:
When you get gears for a 4x4, I'm assuming you are going to change out the ring & pinion for both the front and rear axles? Or do you just need to change one r & p at the transfer case?
You need to change both front and rear gear sets or you will rip the transfer case out by trying to turn it at two different speeds. Then as usual you have to recalibrate the speedo with a speedo gear or handheld tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread