Is there a girl on this board drives a 03 Sonic Blue KB Vert that blew in SA?

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
Guess that KB is really paying off. This was my initial gripe with the KB. $4k upgrade for major damage down the road. You just can't slap a KB on the car and get it tuned. So many other things need to be considered. It is just a matter of time before major problems arise. KB = russian roulette.

its all in the tune bro

you run 23-24 deg total timing on pump gas and 15 psi with a 12.0 up af and it truely is russian roulette.

I say give up 20 hp run 11.5 and 22 or even 21 deg and ur cool all day for a daily driver with juuust enough to squeak by a bad tank

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD

Some of those people on those boards are jerks. I am so tired of people with attitudes like that. "so much for the bullet proof bottom end" dont those people drive mustangs? Why do they want us to fail? With all the crap talking that goes on between us and the chevy/import guys its pretty low when other cobra owners do the same thing. They need to get a life.

You read way too much into the post.

I was shocked that the engine blew-up (notice the little "Shocked" smiley??? No eye rolling or big smiles, but SHOCKED...), and was in no way saying anything negative regarding the '03 engine.
As anyone with any automotive knowledge knows, under the right (or wrong) conditions, even the toughest-built blower motor can fail. Since I know Tracy & also know how careful she's been with tuning, it shocked me that she had the kind of failure she did.

If you re-read the post, you'll see that - with the exception of two "Off-topic" replies (one about women owners & the other about Fords decision to use a cast-iron block) - no one criticizes the '03 motor in any way shape or form.

Originally posted by RDSZ
I think is Cobra envy and I dont blame this people for hating a freak like our cars.

See above... ;-)

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
T Rex,

Ouch.

Thanks for sharing the info so far. Keep it coming and as always you know the haters are gonna jaw.

From the sideline of course.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Jeez, that blows man. :(

Lotsa luck getting it up and running again.

EngCon

Established Member
Tracy- sorry to hear about your problem, but as with most of us HP junkies you will fix it better than ever. If you need anything let me know. Good Luck!!

Jay

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
as always you know the haters are gonna jaw.

From the sideline of course.

Funny, unless you hear little voices in your head, I don't hear any "haters jawing..." :rollseyes

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Hey Tracy, why don't you give those new Terminator cams a try while the motor is apart?? You'd be the first to see the possible gains with them. Just a suggestion, but good luck.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
tracy, did you scan the EEC for codes yet? Especially a fuel rail or fuel pressure code.

Lets say the left rail went lean. 7 & 8 seem to have the most heat build up, could be the failure.

Sorry about the breakage, stuff happens. I believe that snake will rise up badder than ever.

walker887

Established Member
Trac,
8 shiney new 17cc CP pistons, Bolts and .098 Thick Cometic Head gaskets are on the way to you.
If you want the cams let me know.
Don

coleman

Established Member
tracy, you've got to tell me where you are ordering your stuff to rebuild that engine, cuz i need it too...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if you think that a new set of pistons, rings, machine work, labor and billet op gears are only gonna run you 1000 i think your nuts.

pistons are 600, rings 100, bearings, 150,machine work and balancing, 250, billet gears, 350, then labor, like 3000.

thats a fairly thin top ringland like joe stated. I don't remember if my je pistons had detonation rings? joe do you remember? i think CP pistons have them, and that would be my choice if i had to go with a deep dish piston.

oh and while its apart, put arp head and main studs on it.

dont forget head gaskets either.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
if you think that a new set of pistons, rings, machine work, labor and billet op gears are only gonna run you 1000 i think your nuts.

The 1k remark was if I just wanted to get the car back on the road with a few stock parts. I'm obviously not going that route. 3K for labor? Now that's nuts!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
3k is nuts to assemble the shortblock, put the heads and all other accompanied accessories on there and then put the motor back in. in addition to taking the motor out.

3000 is high, but not outrageous according to some shops. i paid 1800

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Tracey, whatever it is you do for a living, i want in. :thumbsup: I wish I could fry a piston and not think twice about it. Damn, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week if I did that, much less on an '03! Hope everything works out.

coleman

Established Member
sorry racerat, maybe i missed reading the root cause. but, what do you think caused your failure?

George Wax

Established Member
A rebuild on these 4 Valve shortblock's done correctly is not cheap..My long block ended costing me about $8,000 when it was all said and done..To get it done right it's going to cost you..No half ass job here..The assembly and balancing of internal's is extremely critical especially on these Modular Motor's...I have known of way to many people in order to save some money here and their have done more harm than good and eventually had to rebuild again...Don't be one of those and get it done right the first time...Just my opinion...

MJ32V

Established Member
Tracey- after the rebuild, you may want to invest in an AF meter to continiously monitor the AF. I'm currently looking into the LM1 myself (waiting to hear feedback from those that just purchased them thru a group purchase before I decide to buy one myself). Switching over to the Focus fuel pumps should help also. Good luck with the rebuild.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread