Is there a way to tighten the steering up?

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I've noticed my truck has quite a bit of play when steering. Is there any way to tighten it up to make it more precise?
And I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything...
Thanks,
-Joshua

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I've done it on my Excursion, but I don't know if the steering box setup is similar enough that the same procedure can be used on the Lightning.

If you want, I can post the instructions for the Excursion and you can compare it to your Lightning and see if it works. You'd be the test mule though, and I can't be blamed if your truck disappears into the Phantom Zone!

Stewart

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Stewart_H said:
I've done it on my Excursion, but I don't know if the steering box setup is similar enough that the same procedure can be used on the Lightning.

If you want, I can post the instructions for the Excursion and you can compare it to your Lightning and see if it works. You'd be the test mule though, and I can't be blamed if your truck disappears into the Phantom Zone!

Stewart
I would definitely appreciate it...It is ridiculous how much you can turn the wheel without anything happening.
Thanks
-Joshua

OH-MAN

Established Member
I had my alignment checked a while back and they replaced my idler arm.
It was adding some slop to my steering.
I noticed a great improvement in the tightness of the front end.
Sad that a semi performance truck gets such an outdated steering.
My 2000 Mazda 2500 has a rack and pinon????

Last edited:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Ok, just remember, these are instructions for the Excursion and SuperDuty trucks.

But if it's the same, and it works, please make sure you post up so I can make a new thread and put it in the How-To forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically, all you need to do is locate the allen head bolt and locknut on top of the steering box (close to the radiator). I believe the locknut is a 5/8".

Mark the allen bolt so you can tell the orientation that you started from, and then loosen the locknut. Turn the allen bolt clockwise a quarter turn to tighten the gear mesh. Tighten the locknut back up and take her for a spin. Be careful, because if you over-tighten the allen bolt, the steering may become too tight and get extremely stiff during a tight turn, causing you to veer off course.

Repeat the sequence, turning the allen bolt a ¼ turn at a time, followed by a test drive, until you're satisfied with the performance. If you over-tighten the allen bolt, turn the allen bolt back a quarter turn, counter-clockwise.

There is a risk of over tightening the box and causing it to wear out prematurely, so I suggest you tighten it to the point where the slop is gone, and no further.

Stewart

LightningLou

Established Member
I've been having the same problem lately but I think It's just bad/worn out ball joints. I'm replacing mine with Moog this weekend to see if that helps...

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
LightningLou said:
I've been having the same problem lately but I think It's just bad/worn out ball joints. I'm replacing mine with Moog this weekend to see if that helps...
Please let us know if that cures it, how much were they?
-Joshua

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The Ford factory manual specifies a turning torque value for the actual steering shaft measured at the steering wheel of 18 lb. in. drag link disconnected from the steering box.

The steering box adjustment is as Stewart H described however I do the following:

Tighten the allen bolt until you feel it make contact or bottom out, then loosen it 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut. I did mine this way when I had the engine out last time and it's working well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread