Is there an "entry level" supercharger ?

seu318

Established Member
Thought I would take a shot and post this to see if anyone has any ideas -
Is there what can be considered an "entry level" supercharger for a DD Cobra ? Something that does not require a lot of modifications to the existing fuel system - ie: can you utilize stock fuel injectors, pump, etc ?
I'm just kind of looking for a project to do on my '99. Don't really want to spend a fortune and I don't want to grenade the engine with a big system. Thanks in advance.

03_StangGuy

Established Member
Your best bet would be to find a use setup. The can be found for around 3 grand and should come with injector that youd need. You will need a boost a pump or some sort to get enough fuel. If you want simple a centri blower non-intercooled is your best bet, 8-9 psi will have you around mid to upper 300s.

Tremor

NO MERCY
Maybe consider Nitrous since you dont have big plan's. Just use it when you need it :read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
sure, p1sc, novi 1000 and s trim.

that said, any of the above can still lunch your motor, so you should still have money spared away in case that occurs.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Entry level systems come with the fuel upgrades you need, either with bigger injectors, new MAF, Boost-a-pump, whatever. A SC is never going to be cheap.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
There's no way to get around the need for larger injectors and a bigger pump. The '03 cobras should be proof of that: they're only rated 70hp more than our cars yet have injectors that are almost twice as big, and 2 fuel pumps.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Maybe consider Nitrous since you dont have big plan's. Just use it when you need it :read:

That was my thought. That and there's a smaller cheaper blower company that I cannot for the life of me think of the name..

Tremor

NO MERCY
urbs4

Can you tell us how much money your willing to spend ? <-- This should narrow down your options. :read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Un4, I think you're thinking of powerdyne. They are pretty crappy (most are air cooled), I believe they have a BD1 oil cooled model for the 2001, but they aren't much cheaper and support is non-existant.

seu318

Established Member
Tremor - I did not really have a number - because I did not even know if there was, what is considered, an entry level (if I can call it that) system for 99-01 Cobras. I may try and look around for a used system. I need to look around at whats out there i guess, searching the classifieds here and elsewhere, and doing some web research.

thanks for all the answers guys.

My94GT

Established Member
B&B_Performance_Line_Electric_Supercharger2.jpg

its legit :rockon:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Just keep an eye out in the market section for a used setup and supporting mods. I got a set of 42 pound injectors that were used for less then a hundred miles for half price so watch for a bargain.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
There's no way to get around the need for larger injectors and a bigger pump. The '03 cobras should be proof of that: they're only rated 70hp more than our cars yet have injectors that are almost twice as big, and 2 fuel pumps.

I'd disagree to an extent.
The 03 was built safe from Ford for 1 thing.
Not to mention it was built for 9+ PSI of boost from the factory.

A 6PSI (I'll call it a starter kit) kit on a 96-98 and 99/01 can be done with minimal upgrades with the right tune. (Most will have some sort of upgrades with it if you trust it) lol

And then remember, Tunes only became popular in the last few years. What do you think we all did before then?

Now in no way am I saying upgrades are not good but have been done for years without going all out like we do in todays world.

IMO the P1sc is a good base kit.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
If your a "starter" don't buy a used kit. You'll need the support from the company if any parts are missing and you have no idea what the headunit you just bought has been through. Reguardless of what the seller says. I learned this the hard way with my used Vortech purchase.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
If your a "starter" don't buy a used kit. You'll need the support from the company if any parts are missing and you have no idea what the headunit you just bought has been through. Reguardless of what the seller says. I learned this the hard way with my used Vortech purchase.

Seems like you should have done more research on your purchase then.

A used kit is the way to go. All you need is to get the model # of the blower and call the supporting company to see when it was purchased and that will give you how long it has been out on the street.

You will get the same support from these company's regardless if its a new or used piece.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
A used intercooled P1SC kit for a 99 Cobra (an 01 kit has a different mounting plate) with a stock pulley is what you need.

- self contained, no tapping into the oil pan
- easy to install, easy to remove
- low boost; 6-8 psi will give you a jump in power but will not be excessive on your motor

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Un4, I think you're thinking of powerdyne. They are pretty crappy (most are air cooled), I believe they have a BD1 oil cooled model for the 2001, but they aren't much cheaper and support is non-existant.

Powerdyne is the one! I have no personal experience with them, but I had a friend who ran a powerdyne at like 12psi and a 175 wet shot on his bone stock 5.0. That car was insanely fast! (I say was cause it finally gave up the ghost) I haven't done any research on them, but from the guys I knew that ran them, they had no issues.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I had one powerdyne in the past and know a few others who had them.
Some good luck some not so good.
Internal drive is a belt so it is quieter than most.

I didn't keep that car long enough to give a good review. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread