Is this a crazy idea?

svtrookie

Established Member
Currently, I have been daily driving my Grandfather's old 2002 Buick Park Avenue for the last 2 years. He is 99 and decided to give the car to me after he stopped driving. I figured it was a good idea to take it or else he was going to sell it. At first, it was nice because it allowed me to continue keeping my 03 Cobra as a weekend warrior. (I have owned my 03 for almost 6 years)

Fast forward to now and I am just tired of driving the Buick! The transmission has issues and the car was recently rear ended. The Buick only has 65k miles on it, but it's just a drag to drive. I know it's nice to drive a beater and not worry about anything, but I have no enjoyment driving this car. It's actually annoying.

So, I have been thinking about buying a new car. . . and yes. .the 2011 GT is on my radar. I can't help it. . it's such a nice car. I drove a friend's and I fell in love.

Is it crazy to think I can daily drive a 2011 Gt? We do get winter weather in Baltimore, but I car pool to work and my GF has a SUV so it's not a huge dilemma, but could be annoying. Some of my friends say to get a truck or SUV instead of owning another muscle car. .but I have a feeling I would get bored.

Is it stupid to own a GT mustang and an 03 cobra? Will I neglect the Cobra? (I hope not. .I could never sell it)

Bottom line. . is it a smart choice owning two mustangs? One daily driver and one toy. It's a hard decision because I really love Mustangs. Any other normal cars just bore me.

Let me know your opinions!

Thanks

Last edited:

AmnDucky

Established Member
You could make the '11 a fast grocery getter and relegate the cobra to straight toy with fewer creature comforts. Get a 5.0 with sync, seat warmers, glass roof, etc to make it a fun and comfortable commuter. Just because you would have two fast mustangs doesn't mean they would both serve the same purpose.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No it isnt stupid and yes you can:beer:

1.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Itsdafiveoh

Established Member
If you decide to get a 2011 GT, color me jealous because having two bad ass cars in one garage is just awesome.

grnenvy

Established Member
I don't see any reason to keep the 03COBRA once you own a new GT. Unless your rich and can afford it it's a waste of money and you will figure it out after you keep spending money on insurance and repairs. I could have kept both with no problem but after having the GT there's no reason for it. imop

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
If driving is part of your daily commute and you'll get more enjoyment from life by having the GT, I say go for it. You only live once.

Congrats to grandad for 99 years!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I did it. I'm only 45 min south of you and I bought a 2011 gt to use as a daily. However, I sold my 03 (but kept the fox) since after driving the new 5.0 I felt like I'd never drive the cobra again. Definitely get the glass roof....its cool as hell.

Entrenched

Established Member
Got Both

I have both and love owning them. I'm installing twins on the Cobra and gonna make it a top end monster. My GT is just for getting around town, albeit as fast as possible.

DSCN5516.jpg

DSCN5515.jpg

DSCN5513.jpg

a_gorman

Established Member
I have an 2011 GT and a 2009 GT500, no reason you can't have both. I currently have winter tires on my 2011 and it handles great in the Candian winters, mind you I don't have to drive it much.

svtrookie

Established Member
I don't see any reason to keep the 03COBRA once you own a new GT. Unless your rich and can afford it it's a waste of money and you will figure it out after you keep spending money on insurance and repairs. I could have kept both with no problem but after having the GT there's no reason for it. imop

This is a really valid point! It's this logic that gets me thinking the opposite way.

I am not wealthy by any means, but I see so many older stock GT mustangs on the road that it leads me to believe that a GT even the new 5.0 would make for a good daily driver as it's stock.

The only major issue is the rise in insurance and tire usage. However, that could be offset by the joy the car brings me each day going to work.

I would have a hard time giving up my 03. I worked extremely hard to get that car after I graduated college. It's mint. Now 6 years later it's time for something I can enjoy everyday. I guess I am tired of driving the beater.

It's nice to have a flawless mustang to cruise to shows, but I guess I want a fun work horse.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It's still a tough choice.

svtrookie

Established Member
I did it. I'm only 45 min south of you and I bought a 2011 gt to use as a daily. However, I sold my 03 (but kept the fox) since after driving the new 5.0 I felt like I'd never drive the cobra again. Definitely get the glass roof....its cool as hell.

Fishtail,

I saw the pics of your car in MACA. .it's gorgeous! That car made me look at race red in a whole new way.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Will never sell my Competition Orange 04 Cobra. That was my dream car and to me my 11GT doesn't come close to being my dream car. It is great for what it is, a daily driver and a better one than the Cobra. Plus the Cobra is nearly paid off so not worried about finances. She is my weekend warrior and track queen. You dont have to be rich to afford both at all. -Shane

Entrenched...love the black badges!
2.jpg

svtrookie

Established Member
If driving is part of your daily commute and you'll get more enjoyment from life by having the GT, I say go for it. You only live once.

Congrats to grandad for 99 years!

Thank you! My family and I just celebrated his Birthday yesterday. It's amazing! He was the guy responsible in my family for starting our mustang addiction by getting one in 1966.

flattrack53

Established Member
If he sells his sonic which he never will..I am #1 on that list. The car is perfect and granny driven. OOOPSS

whoareyou

Established Member
Why not get an '11 V6? It would help ensure that you don't sell the Cobra and it would make the insurance a little more reasonable. And, with over 300 HP still moderately quick.

flattrack53

Established Member
Why not get an '11 V6? It would help ensure that you don't sell the Cobra and it would make the insurance a little more reasonable. And, with over 300 HP still moderately quick.

No way!!! His dad would kick his @$$ if he bought a v6 mustang!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Fishtail,

I saw the pics of your car in MACA. .it's gorgeous! That car made me look at race red in a whole new way.

LOL, thanks. I'll try to get some new ones posted this week after the windows get tinted (and the bandwidth restriction on my photobucket account resets). As for insurance, the 5.0 is cheaper than the cobra, or at least it was for me. Tires are another story though, the P-Zero's on the car cost about 400 each from tire rack.

Users who are viewing this thread