is this a vert or coupe specific rear factory brace

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I borrowed this pick from Bad93svt, his pumpkin thread

I noticed some cobras have that black colored brace in the rear seat well. it's clearly visible in the pic. My vert does not have it, anyone know if it's only a coupe thing? and if so what does it do?

rear cobra brace.jpg

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
my vert doesn't , and it appears that it was never installed from the factory. is yours an early 03 or late?

I wonder if it offers any structural stabilitly

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
My 03 has it also. Its not structure at all. Its just for car seats. I believe my cars born late march.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
It's not a brace - it's part of the LATCH/TETHER system for baby car seats (as others have already pointed out).

Federal mandated for all '04 cars if I recall correctly.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
What is your build date? Looks like 5/8/02 was job one for 03 Cobras and the law was required for 9/1/02 and later so there should be quite a few 03's without them.

This is what I found on one of the car seat manufacturers web sites.

Lower anchors for child restraints, each consisting of two rigid bars 6 mm in diameter and 25-50 mm long, are present in the vehicle seat bight (the crack between the seat back and seat cushion) in specified seating positions in all cars, minivans, and pick-up trucks after September 1, 2002 (model year 2003). and in many made before that date.

SV

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
the mystery has been solved.

this brace has been bothering me for years, I made a post a few years back with no response

Thanks for clarifying the purpose. I was worried the factory forgot a critical structural brace on my car.

BTW my build date is 6/21/02

Users who are viewing this thread