Is this bad???

jcobra

Established Member
Is this too lean?? JLT RAI, O/R prochamber, magnaflow CB, stock pulley and tune.

stilesct8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Mixed bag. Lean below 4500 rpm and WAY RICH after 5800 RPM.

You want to be under 12.0 A/F with a S/C Cobra and around 11.7 ish is ideal. Your car doesn't drop under 12 until after 4700 rpm.

Last edited:
That isn't too lean. You start to go very rich at 4500rpms and stay in very safe range. On stock boost that isn't lean by any means. Don't listen to these guys.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
That isn't too lean. You start to go very rich at 4500rpms and stay in very safe range. On stock boost that isn't lean by any means. Don't listen to these guys.

Bad advice.

Get it tuned.

Bad advice nothing. You guys are hyperventilating about his A/F being at 15.0 between 3150 - 3300rpms. Then it starts to richen up considerably and hitting 12.5 at about 4400rpms then at 4700rpms you're dipping under 12.0

That A/F on the stock tune isn't going to cause detonation. There are so many stock dyno sheets similar to this one. A tune will help things out by geting more power out of those mods, but you guys are dead wrong suggesting that his tune is dangerous as it stands. Over 5000rpms he's safer than Osama Bin Laden. You aren't risking blowing your motor with that A/F on stock boost. Different story if you had a 2.93 or 2.8 on there.

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
01cobravortech said:
Bad advice nothing. You guys are hyperventilating about his A/F being at 15.0 between 3150 - 3300rpms. Then it starts to richen up considerably and hitting 12.5 at about 4400rpms then at 4700rpms you're dipping under 12.0

That A/F on the stock tune isn't going to cause detonation. There are so many stock dyno sheets similar to this one. A tune will help things out by geting more power out of those mods, but you guys are dead wrong suggesting that his tune is dangerous as it stands. Over 5000rpms he's safer than Osama Bin Laden. You aren't risking blowing your motor with that A/F on stock boost. Different story if you had a 2.93 or 2.8 on there.

:nonono:

jcobra

Established Member
Guess this would be a good time for a pulley. The car only has 4300 miles and Ive been going back and forth on keeping it stock or not.

ViciousJay

Established Member
01cobravortech said:

im sorry but i have to agree with Unit here.... my a/f at 3K is 11.7... to me id freak out if a tuner game me my car with an a/f like that.....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
What are you guys talking about?

Stock my car is above 12 under 4K, same thing after the tune. Above 4000 the line pulls well below 12. There are different parameters for below 4K and above 4K. There's a reason that the stock tune on a bone stock car is above 12:1 below 4,000 rpm.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
jcobra,

You're way lean lower in the rpm range. My car changed over at 4K but yours is above 13 right there. Then your A/F richens very quickly. You need a tune revision ASAP. Don't get into boost at all or go WOT.

ViciousJay said:
im sorry but i have to agree with Unit here.... my a/f at 3K is 11.7... to me id freak out if a tuner game me my car with an a/f like that.....

He's running the stock Ford tune. Thats a big difference. I ran in the 15s from 1000 - 4000rpms with a 2.80 and stock Ford tune without realizing I had a 2.80 on the car. Did this for 3000 miles before getting the car dynoed. No audible detonation and the spark plugs showed no signs of detonation.

The guy should get a tune just to reap the gains from the mods. However, its just rediculous for people to think he's in the danger zone on the stock tune. He gets plenty rich up after 4500rpms. He may not have the ideal A/F for higher boost but he's running at the stock boost levels. Thats the core issue here. I bet if he sent that dyno sheet to JLT he would agree he has seen a lot of stock pullied cars on the Ford tune with that A/F.

93 347 Cobra said:
What are you guys talking about?

Stock my car is above 12 under 4K, same thing after the tune. Above 4000 the line pulls well below 12. There are different parameters for below 4K and above 4K. There's a reason that the stock tune on a bone stock car is above 12:1 below 4,000 rpm.

I think that the problem with the internet is that guys hear about where the A/F needs to be for these cars and they chew on that and come up with this nonsense that a car needs to be at 11.8 from 500rpms to redline. Which is retarded. The stock Ford tune doesn't even advance the timing to the aggressive levels you do in an aftermarket tune. How much timing is dialed in has everything to do with whether or not a car is going to detonate.

YOU SIMPLY DON'T DETONATE BECAUSE YOU HAVE A LEAN A/F! There are other variables that affect detonation.

Last edited:
SicStang03 said:
^^ :burn: BURN!!! LOL... :pop:

Spark, timing, and air charge temperature are going to be the determining factors when it comes to detonation. A car that is extremely lean will not detonate because there is not enough fuel in the cylinder. His car is not extremely lean down low which puts him in a very favorable position. Once the engine gets to a lean point where the engine is lean misfiring, the pressure in the cylinder actually goes down, which saves the motor. The stock timing is set really low.

Here's a bone stock dyno sheet. I'm in the process of digging up some more from ModularFords to put the OP's dyno sheet into perspective.

BoneStock.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread