Is this my imagination?

jason1320

Established Member
Background:
I have had my 03 cobra for just over a year now. It was an early 03 (built before September 02) and I have had the engine replaced once under warranty for a blown ring. The car has only minor mods. (Magnaflow Exaust, K&N CAI, Predator tune (stock). The new motor has just over 3000 miles on it has never really been driven hard. Tough, but not hard.

Anyway, I took the car down to the local 1/8 mile strip in Sunday to get a baseline before I changed to a smaller pully. I had several good runs, maybe 10 or 12, and the car did great. I noticed no problems. Never hit the redline or even came close for that matter.

The next day was a nice day so I decided to take the car to work. I started it up in the garage and all seemed fine. Same smooth idle I have been used to. When I got to the gym about fifteen minutes later I noticed a slight tick and a roughness to the idle but didn't think much of it. When I can out of the gym about an hour and 1/2 later it seemed fine. However, when I got to work I thought heard it again. The same situation continued after work and when I got home.

It seems like the motor starts to tick slightly and become rough after it warms up? Not loud like "The tick", just slightly. Is this my imagination? I can't say for sure that it wasn't there before the track. It could just all be in my mind.

Ideas?

metaman

Established Member
Sounds like the notorious head tick that alot of people have been getting. I think it is due to one of the valve guides sticking or something. It would make sence that it would do it more when the motor is hot, because the alluminum in the head is going to expand just a little bit and cause that guide to stick. Some guys are now getting the entire head replaced under warranty because of this issue.

jason1320

Established Member
I thought of that...but I just had the entire motor replaced three months ago. Wouldn't that include the revised head?

Users who are viewing this thread