Is this pre-ignition noise?

Serfma

Established Member
Around 1.5k - 2.5k during acceleration in 3rd/4th gear when I'm almost lugging I'll have this noise:
Is this pre-ignition? Knock sensors do indeed pick it up and retard timing by 5*, but I am not sure if it's something else and knock sensors think it's knock or if it actually is. I'm going to pull timing in that area by around 10* to start with and see if it goes away.

96 Cobra, 4.6 4v, 2.1 KB (not in boost during this)

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Doesn't sound like pre ignition to me but I struggle with video diagnostics. Sounds more like a exhaust manifold leak or maybe a lash adjuster. But that doesn't explain why it only does it at a certain rpm. How are you tuning the car, have to tried datalogging?

Serfma

Established Member
Doesn't sound like pre ignition to me but I struggle with video diagnostics. Sounds more like a exhaust manifold leak or maybe a lash adjuster. But that doesn't explain why it only does it at a certain rpm. How are you tuning the car, have to tried datalogging?

I actually managed to get some time to retard spark 7* across the board in that area. Semeed to be getting some detonation again but it wasn't as loud. Restored that entire area back to stock and it's running great now. Sometimes knock sensor picks up and retards around 2* at random times but I have a feeling it's something on the engine rattling causing it to read false knock.

Users who are viewing this thread