Is this price to high for parts and labor? Suggestions...

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Since I haven't been able to find what people have been paying for pulley, tune upgrades on here. I talked to somebody from speed inc. in schaumburg, IL. For a 2.8 upper, 4lb lower, some idlers, predator & Dyno tune, parts and labor was 2,050$ Just wondering if that's normal, high? And if that's a good setup.

I am more concerened about putting this power to the ground, what do you guys think? is this a good way to start, or start with some suspension mods first and DR's? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Blake

Dude that is a rape and a half. Don't pay over 2 grand just for getting your pulley swapped the idlers and a lower!!! the Dyno tune should be about $4-500 though. But if you already got a mail in tune and a predator just install that and go to a dyno it'll be cheaper.

The pulley swap & idler install is UNBELIEVABLY EASY to do. No idea why they are charging 2 grand that's freakin ridiculous.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
billetflow nonslip upper--$150.00
billletflow idlers(4)------$255.00
predator---------------$400.00
custom tune-----------$200-500
lower pulley------------$336 and up

And then add in labor $60 and up an HR for labor...i would say it is close! But you could save alot by doing the pulleys your self! And tires, go with M/T DR'S they hook great!!

Last edited:

Blakers01GT

Established Member
nikemason said:
Dude that is a rape and a half. Don't pay over 2 grand just for getting your pulley swapped the idlers and a lower!!! the Dyno tune should be about $4-500 though. But if you already got a mail in tune and a predator just install that and go to a dyno it'll be cheaper.

The pulley swap & idler install is UNBELIEVABLY EASY to do. No idea why they are charging 2 grand that's freakin ridiculous.

Yeah, I kind of thought that, I was preparing myself for around 1k-1500 for everything. I guess I'm considering now, Get the Pulley's and Idlers I need, Install them myself, get the predator tuned and sent, then head to the dyno and hope everything goes smooth. but if there is a better way to go, lets hear it.

Noles, lower pulley's ARE THAT MUCH? He didn't go through the individual price over the phone, just put me on hold and gave me a quote for all parts and labor. said the tune would be 500 alone. He said some guys go with the 2.76, no lower and idlers and save alot, I'm lost here.

Last edited:

Silver03

Established Member
That price isnt too far out of line, but do the work yourself. I can understand wanting to have a dyno tune but 500 bucks is ridiculous to me. You can put all those parts on yourself in an afternoon and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself when finished. It sounds like you havent done much research on these parts, do you know why you are buying all of them?

jk03cobra

Established Member
Blakers01GT said:
Since I haven't been able to find what people have been paying for pulley, tune upgrades on here. I talked to somebody from speed inc. in schaumburg, IL. For a 2.8 upper, 4lb lower, some idlers, predator & Dyno tune, parts and labor was 2,050$ Just wondering if that's normal, high? And if that's a good setup.

I am more concerened about putting this power to the ground, what do you guys think? is this a good way to start, or start with some suspension mods first and DR's? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Blake

Blake,
I'm in southern WI and was looking for a good place to go for similar mods and tuning. A few people on here recommended C & M automotive to me. The guy you need to talk to is Marv at 262 -993-6605. His shop is in Milwaukee area. I've talked to him on the phone and he seems like a really good guy and came highly recommeded. I'm going to be going with him for my future tuning. From talking to him on the phone he's done quite a bit of tuning with the 03/04 cobras and has a couple himself. He uses SCT software for his tuning. He was a ford master mechanic for 20+ years and has his own shop now. Might want to give him a try. He's local for you too. :rolling:

Joe

jk03cobra

Established Member
I also forgot to mention you shouldn't have to pay $400 for the predator and then another $200-500 for the tune. Many tuners have you buy the predator for $400 and that price includes custom tuning. Just something to think about.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
jk03cobra said:
I also forgot to mention you shouldn't have to pay $400 for the predator and then another $200-500 for the tune. Many tuners have you buy the predator for $400 and that price includes custom tuning. Just something to think about.

Thanks alot for the reference. I will give him a call, my only thing is the predator allows me to go back to the stock setup, I wonder if he would work with the predator if I got it myself, thanks!

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Silver03 said:
That price isnt too far out of line, but do the work yourself. I can understand wanting to have a dyno tune but 500 bucks is ridiculous to me. You can put all those parts on yourself in an afternoon and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself when finished. It sounds like you havent done much research on these parts, do you know why you are buying all of them?

See that's the thing, and it frusterates me because until the last few days, I've been enjoying the hell out of my car for the past 10k, but a couple modded LS1's have hung with me and that's all I have needed to move on.

The understanding I have is if I go with the 2.8 upper and 4lb lower, that 4lb lower will give me GREAT torque, as far as the idlers, I have not done much research on them, and all the belt slip problems and how to stay away from that. So I am still trying to figure all of it out, and I don't want to regret any of my purchases like I did with my 01 GT which was in the shop more then my garage.

jk03cobra

Established Member
Blake,
You may want to hold out for the new flash tuner from SCT if you decide to go to Marv for your tuning. I currently have the predator and am in the same boat you are as far as not being able to get a local custom predator tune. For now I'm going to get my tunes from Amazon since it was included in the price of the predator and I already paid for it. (This was about a week before I found the local guy to tune the car :bash: ) and I'll see how my air/fuel looks on the dyno. By the way if you do go predator, give amazon a call, they have awesome customer service and have heard nothing but good things about their tunes. They have a lot of experience with these cars.

If you wait on the SCT flash tuner, from what I've heard the new one will be the Excalibrator 2 and is supposed to have many more options than the first one did including data logging. It is supposed to be very comparable to the predator. With that, the local tuner can then write you tunes using his SCT software. In hindsight this is what I probably would have done just so I could get the actual tuning done onsight, but like I said I found the guy about a week after I bought the predator. Either way I don't think you will go wrong. Amazon is a great company too.

Let me know what you decide, I know Marv is trying to get a bunch of guys together at once and making a dyno day of it. I just may see you there.
:beer:

Cobra Nate

Banned
Blakers01GT said:

Blake

Ur gonna need more than that with a 2.76 upper and 4lb lower. YOu'll also need a heat exchanger, a bigger MAF and a boost a pump. That combo WILL peg ur MAF and u will need more fuel and u will need additional cooling.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
jk03cobra said:
Blake,
You may want to hold out for the new flash tuner from SCT if you decide to go to Marv for your tuning. I currently have the predator and am in the same boat you are as far as not being able to get a local custom predator tune. For now I'm going to get my tunes from Amazon since it was included in the price of the predator and I already paid for it. (This was about a week before I found the local guy to tune the car :bash: ) and I'll see how my air/fuel looks on the dyno. By the way if you do go predator, give amazon a call, they have awesome customer service and have heard nothing but good things about their tunes. They have a lot of experience with these cars.

If you wait on the SCT flash tuner, from what I've heard the new one will be the Excalibrator 2 and is supposed to have many more options than the first one did including data logging. It is supposed to be very comparable to the predator. With that, the local tuner can then write you tunes using his SCT software. In hindsight this is what I probably would have done just so I could get the actual tuning done onsight, but like I said I found the guy about a week after I bought the predator. Either way I don't think you will go wrong. Amazon is a great company too.

Let me know what you decide, I know Marv is trying to get a bunch of guys together at once and making a dyno day of it. I just may see you there.
:beer:

I talked to marv for a while, I had him order the 2.76 and the billet flow 4 idler kit, and he said he has a bunch of excalibrator's coming in he said hopefully by mid next week, not sure if thats the excalibur2 or whatever but he said you can do the same with that as the predator as far as being able to go back to stock tune etc for warranty purposes. I'm not going with a lower as well.(his advice) he said for the excalibur and tune is 400$ on the dyno, which i was pleased with. so we'll see. When is the Excalibrator2 coming out? maybe that's what he was talking about.

Last edited:

jk03cobra

Established Member
I believe it's the Excalibrator 2 that he is talking about. That's why he is waiting to get them, I don't think anyone has them yet. Did Marv give you any better idea of when the dyno day might be?

Blakers01GT

Established Member
jk03cobra said:
I believe it's the Excalibrator 2 that he is talking about. That's why he is waiting to get them, I don't think anyone has them yet. Did Marv give you any better idea of when the dyno day might be?

I don't recall him getting into specifics, or talking about get a a dyno day together, I will call him about it though, and see what he's thinking, because I'm for sure in when he has one. and if you talk to him, let me know what he says. he said he has been waiting on the excalibrator for a bit and said the rep said end of next week, so yeah i guess he was probably refering to the exc2, So we'll see, I'll keep ya updated, thanks!

Blake

Users who are viewing this thread