Is this the clutch or something else

Sirhc7897

Established Member
2011 GT500 with stock clutch.

The car was warm and had been fine. I pulled out of a parking lot with no issues but a mile or so down the road at a red light the clutch engagement was very strange (hooking up in only the very last but of pedal travel vs relatively smooth engagement prior). Within just a few miles and a few gear shifts there is a horrible squeal.

Trailered to house but I'm wondering...does this should like clutch failure only or something else too? I expected clutch failure to be different. I expected some kind of notice that it was starting to fail. Just not so sudden.

Any thoughts?

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Ok so say it is the clutch. Does it make sense to do e flywheel while I'm in there?

Car currently has 65k miles and is mildly modded (full exhaust, smaller pulley, VMP dyno tune, supporting mods making around 600rwhp). I wouldn't envision turning up the power levels too much more (maybe 650rwhp on a low boost gen 2 tvs or lightly used gen 1 I pick up cheap when somebody upgrades.

Is it going to be just a measure of safety to do them both or a waste of money to do flywheel too?

I'd rather do it right and do it once than save a few bucks.

Last edited:

Sirhc7897

Established Member
You are still on the stock clutch after 65K miles? Wow.

Yep. Its held up well but it would appear it too a dump this morning with little to no warning.

I mean it was fine and then literally a half mile later took a dive. I nursed it maybe another 10 miles down the road to a shopping center and knew better than to push my luck any farther. Had a buddy bring my trailer and loaded her up.

Users who are viewing this thread