Is this the McLeod Flywheel and does it need to be replaced or just resurfaced?

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Having fun with TOB/Retainer/Pilot replacement this weekend. My pilot was in a bunch of pieces so I pulled the clutch. This turns out to be a good thing in a way because it looks like the clutch plate is a King Cobra or similar Carbon Fiber and is coming apart inside by the springs.

My question is about this flywheel. Is this the McLeod Flywheel and does it need to be replaced or just resurfaced?

It says 7T10 on the brass pins or whatever they are called.

3850192-l-0.jpg

3850193-l-0.jpg

3850194-l-0.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No cracks, gouges, or hot spots?

If not, it just needs to be cleaned up with sand paper or take it to someone who can do a light resurface.

Doesn't look too bad. (FROM HERE:-D) If It were me, since I regularly scuff and reuse rotors without turning them, I would scuff and reuse that.
Assuming ----->No cracks, gouges, or hot spots?

OE stock flywheels are McLeod Aluminum, I have only seen photos but that looks like one.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Thanks Jimmy. I will inspect closer and I think I can figure out what a crack or gouge looks like, but how could I tell if there was a hot spot?

Here is that awesome looking pilot and the clutch. Notice near the top two springs.

3850195-l-0.jpg

3850196-l-0.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hot spots will be blue and are typically slightly raised from the rest of the surface, because the have locally hardened compared the the rest of the face, and therefor have worn less.

Although that pilot is obviously DESTROYED, that disc does not look all that bad.

That pilot going out may have saved you from buying a flywheel insert or assembly.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
So, what grit should I scuff it with? Should I use the ole' Orbital and rough it up like a new one looks? Or use a sanding block and cross hatch it?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So, what grit should I scuff it with? Should I use the ole' Orbital and rough it up like a new one looks? Or use a sanding block and cross hatch it?

Either or...

You just want most of the embedded molecules from the old disc material to be gone. So that the new material can transfer and bed in evenly, and not over top of the old molecules.

These are very similar to brake pad and rotor material transfer.

Obviously molecular level transfer is usually not going to be very thick. :beer:

gargstang

Established Member
Tim those both look like the factory pieces that I just took out. The spacer ring on the flywheel is a factory thing that usually isn't required with aftermarket flywheels. On the clutch is looks like it says Valeo but I can't tell for sure. That is the OEM clutch manufacturer if that is what it says.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Tim those both look like the factory pieces that I just took out. The spacer ring on the flywheel is a factory thing that usually isn't required with aftermarket flywheels. On the clutch is looks like it says Valeo but I can't tell for sure. That is the OEM clutch manufacturer if that is what it says.

You are correct on both. The clutch is actually a Ford King Cobra Kevlar that was previously upgraded by the P.O.

Users who are viewing this thread