Is timing on the predator pulley tune too much?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have the RR 2.95 pulley and predator tune loaded in my car with no changes made on the timing. I have read several posts about timing on the predator and a lot of people seem to think the timing on the pulley tune is too much, I think as high as 26 degrees. I set the AF at a very consevative level. At 4500 it is at 11.8 dropping to 11.5 at 5500 to 11.4 at redline, this was at the tailpipe. I only run 93 octane Amaco/Mobil fuel. I have never heard any pinging even at WOT at lower RPM's.

Do you guys think this is still a safe tune. Should I pull a few degrees out or am I just paranoid?

What do you think?

ALA G8R

Banned
Chonger,

I found that pulling 10% timing (approx 2.6degrees) only cost me 4rwhp and 1lb-ft of torque. IMO that little gain isn't worth it. So I am running 10% timing retard.

BTW, I too run either Amoco or Shell 93.

I searched here and on MF.com and the consensus was that 22 to 23 degrees was the max safe timing for a pullied car.

Last edited:

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I think every car from every area reacts differently. If the car is performing well and it is not pinging then I wouldn't worry. Especially since your A/F is good.

trey193

Established Member
I wish some of the tuners would step in and let us know what they have found on the dynos some say more timing is better and others say its not, my Diablo tune is classified a race tune and has over 25 degrees of timing in it!

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I did a search on "timing and predator" and found that there were plenty of people that thought 26 degrees was too much. I went ahead and backed mine off the 10% on the predator which is guess is only equal to about 2-3 degrees. My car never pinged at all with the full 26 degrees.

Does "no pinging" automatically mean things are OK for the car. I have read a few posts about the AF being real lean and the car never pinged.

I will gladly sacrifice a few ponies for more reliability.

Thanks for the reply(s)

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i was also curious about this so i discussed it with James (RWTD where i bought the predator from) and he agreed with the stock predator "pulley" tune being set at 26 deg. was a little excessive so when he made me my custom tune to fix the the rich condition above 4K rpms he took out 2 deg. which put it at 24 degrees total. Even though i never had any problems with it pinging running Sunoco 94 octane i feel it is safer the way it is now even if it means losing a horsepower or two.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well it cant hurt to back off all the timing! I have 91 octane so I have no choice. I also had to richen the fuel curve 7%. No pinging and runs real strong with the 2.80 and 91 octane. Gives LS1's something to think about ;-)

DOHC03

Established Member
I had to back the timing off when the weather got cold here in Virginia, there was some pinging. I'm at -8% now.

Whats good for the fan on/off settings?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
Chonger,

I found that pulling 10% timing (approx 2.6degrees) only cost me 4rwhp and 1lb-ft of torque. IMO that little gain isn't worth it. So I am running 10% timing retard.

BTW, I too run either Amoco or Shell 93.

I searched here and on MF.com and the consensus was that 22 to 23 degrees was the max safe timing for a pullied car.

ALA G8R

I did what you suggested and pulled the 10% timing out. I can tell you I felt absolutely no difference if there was any loss of power at all. Car felt just as strong, if not stronger, from the old Ass O Meter.

Same power + less stress on the motor = Works for me!!!

Gotta love this site. If I ever have a question or concern someone always has an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread