Is Your Antenna Too Long?

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
did it it was a boat mast before looks alot better i am trying to figure out how to install it in the apillar and delete it

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
At one time, I had thoughts of installing an electric retracting antenna on top of the rear fender (with the motor in the trunk). I'm not really crazy about drilling holes in the car though.

Dan

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Shorten just to the roof line and your reception won't suffer too bad....I got mine another 3 to 4 inches under roof line since I usually listen to cd's if anything at all when cruisin....

EPCobra

1 Crazy Cobra
Established Member
I just took a hacksaw to it and then painted it black. It is a couple inches lower than the roof and I have no reception problems.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
cut 13" off mine and SEVERAL others. No loss in reception even 70 miles out of the radio-based station. Pop the ball off.....take the antenna to the dremel.....file an "angled staff...and hammer the staff into the ball. Takes me 5 min to do. :D

Lee

Established Member
I'm glad to hear you've not lost any "noticable" radio reception. The antenna is tuned to the frequencies being received. Normally the antenna length is 1/4 wave length of the frequency. The radio also has a tuning capcitor that assists with tuning the antenna for the desired frequencies. When the antenna is cut the wave length and tuning if off causing an attenuation of the received signal. Glad to hear you can't tell. :)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
When I installed my elect temp gauge in the radio slot, I bought an aftermarket radio/CD combo and put it in the old CD slot. Maybe that unit won't be as smart as the OEM unit (LOL). I'll be cutting my antenna in about three hours, and will check it out this afternoon when I drive to the after-school hangout (Sonic) and see if I can get any bites on my '95.

Dan

Lugi 98 SVT

Established Member
I just went out and bought a short one at Autozone for 4$
Its rubber and really doesn't look all that bad.
I was also afraid I'd cut mine and have no reception.

KingCobra97

V Dub
Established Member
Originally posted by Lee
Yea, you can shorten it, but it will cost you in radio reception.

Someone had already performed that shortened antenna mod when I bought my cobra. It looks sooo much better than the antenna on my 94 gt. I have not noticed any difference in radio reception between the two.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I cut mine tonight - took about 10 - 12 inches off it. Got a little scratched on the "ball," but I touched it up, and it's drying now. (Hope it still works with paint on it!)

Have any of you ever had the screws come loose, that are under that plastic base? If they do, the whole base wobbles. I took mine off (while sweating blood, trying not to scratch the fender), and found that some jerk had been in there before, and had stripped the hole out on one of the screw holes. I wrapped the screw in teflon plumber's tape, put it back in, and it has never moved since!

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
BTW, after I finished painting the antenna and reinstalling it, I jumped-in and fired up the radio (in the garage, with the door down), and the FM station I listen to came in just perfect!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread