Issue with battery voltage

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Okay here as of recently I have been having issues with my car. Basically what is happening is that everyone once in awhile the car will start to loose voltage (monitor it on my SCT livewire). It will drop from the usual 13-14 volts to 8-9 volts while driving. At idle it will go lower and it sounds like it is mis-firing. It only does this every so often. When it drops to 8-9 volts my ABS light will flash, lights get really dim, and the radio shuts off. Once it sits for awhile after it happens it is fine, but it will not start right after this occurs. It is really weird.... Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

divided

Established Member
Okay here as of recently I have been having issues with my car. Basically what is happening is that everyone once in awhile the car will start to loose voltage (monitor it on my SCT livewire). It will drop from the usual 13-14 volts to 8-9 volts while driving. At idle it will go lower and it sounds like it is mis-firing. It only does this every so often. When it drops to 8-9 volts my ABS light will flash, lights get really dim, and the radio shuts off. Once it sits for awhile after it happens it is fine, but it will not start right after this occurs. It is really weird.... Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Well its either on eof two things:

1. Battery is dying/dead
2. Alternator is on its way out

What does the battery read when the cars off? What about under full load (radio, full blast ac, and all lights on)?

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Well its either on eof two things:

1. Battery is dying/dead
2. Alternator is on its way out

What does the battery read when the cars off? What about under full load (radio, full blast ac, and all lights on)?

Under full load my livewire reads between 13-14 volts. The battery is almost brand new, and I haven't checked the voltage when it is off. I was thinking the alternator is on its last leg, and now the battery is probably too because this has happened a couple of times now and it drains it pretty well.

divided

Established Member
Under full load my livewire reads between 13-14 volts. The battery is almost brand new, and I haven't checked the voltage when it is off. I was thinking the alternator is on its last leg, and now the battery is probably too because this has happened a couple of times now and it drains it pretty well.

Sounds like you have your answer. You can always take your car to Kragen or Autozone and have them test the alternator.

srt4tocobra

Established Member
can it be tested with it on the car? for some reason I thought that it had to be off of the car. Just a question but why would my ABS be on and sometimes flashing when the issue happens?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
ABS light can be triggered by the module reading too low of voltage on startup.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
ABS and stereo are getting shutdown by the PCM because voltage is too low.

It's a limp mode that conserves V for fuel pumps and ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread