Issues with my DD

_GuRu_

Established Member
Hey guys, I am having problems with my dd and wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas. Its a 1992 accord. I have had a few occasions where it wouldnt fire up at all when I try to start it, but after 10 or so tries it starts up. Then yesterday, out of no where it dies on the freeway. I pulled over to the side, and after 10-15 tries is starts up and ran fine. It did that 3 seperate times on my drive home. When it dies, it doesnt slowly sputter out, it smoothly just goes off instantly. While it dies, all of my electrical components work fine (radio,lights,blinkers). So anyone have any ideas what could be causing my problem? One of my sensors, fuel filter, fuel pump? Also, it seems to idle very low (300 RPM's) and it seems to idle lower and nearly die occasionally when I turn on the AC

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Start with the obvious:

Change Fuel filter
Check intake manifold leaks (leaky manifold gaskets can cause this)
Check your idle voltage (>13.5 VDC)

If all these are in check, do a code scan. Even though the check engine light may not be on, you could be throwing a code.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
When does it do it?? When you first start it after its been sitting or after its been driven awhile??

jangocast

Established Member
Its the Main Fuel Relay which is very common on hondas, and when they go out it is exactly what you are describing as the symptoms. The relay is found on the drivers side under the dash right above the hood pop latch.

It is very common on hondas when they have been sitting in heat all day with the windows rolled up.

Its a good place to start and you can go to a parts store and get one for $20, if not find someone with a known good one and swap them. Sounds like thats the problem to me tho, just speaking from experience.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Those Accords have a problem with what's called the "Main Relay." That's most likely what it is. Basically what happens, is inside of this relay, the solder points crack and lose connection. You can either buy another one for about $80, or just re-solder the points.

Go over to www.cb7tuner.com and ask some questions. Most of the guys on the site are morons, but the guys who run the site are knowledgeable and will help you out.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Did you check the ignition control module???? Thats why i asked if it only does when at operating temp

snakedoctor

Established Member
I had a 91 accord with the same problem. It's either the main relay or the ignition module inside the distributor. Here's a hint, take it to a honda dealer to get it resolved. It may cost more, but in the long run you'll be better off. I replaced both parts by installing them myself. It didn't fix the problem so I took it to the Honda dealer. It ended up being the ignition module in the distributor that I had just replaced(which I bought from the honda dealer) They wouldn't cover the new part because I installed it myself(they don't cover electrical parts unless they install them) They said either the part was sold bad or I damaged it when installing it. I believe the part was 175.00 so I just threw that money out the window. Ended up having to buy two of them and then paid the honda dealer anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread