It here! But, it pulls bad!

jpetre

Established Member
Well guys a got the call on Saturday but didn't make it out. The car had 9 miles when inspected. No little numbs on the back and 12.1 miles when I got to it. The car pulls the right slowly at low speeds but three lane change at highway speeds. They are going to try and 'Fix' it. I think I will pass on this one though.

FORD :bash:

What do you guys think?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I'd love to drive one of these cars that "pulls". There is a reason Ford waited so long to put 9" wide wheels and 275/40's on. Big meats try to follow every rut in the road, along with the crown of the road. The crown of the road always slopes off to the right, unless you are in England I guess. I think the roots of our cars (late 70's fairmount) does not allow as much castor as the designer would have preffered with such wide wheels and tires. Mine will turn slightly off to the right if I let go of the wheel, but no more so than other fox and sn95 mustangs I had with big tires.

I think there were some cars that really did have something wrong with them, and now the first thing anyone does is try to drive their '03 hands free and see where it goes.

JT

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I'd love to drive one of these cars that "pulls". There is a reason Ford waited so long to put 9" wide wheels and 275/40's on. Big meats try to follow every rut in the road, along with the crown of the road. The crown of the road always slopes off to the right, unless you are in England I guess. I think the roots of our cars (late 70's fairmount) does not allow as much castor as the designer would have preffered with such wide wheels and tires. Mine will turn slightly off to the right if I let go of the wheel, but no more so than other fox and sn95 mustangs I had with big tires.

I think there were some cars that really did have something wrong with them, and now the first thing anyone does is try to drive their '03 hands free and see where it goes.

JT

You summed it up perfectly.:beer:

Robb03

Established Member
Mine pulled when I got it. It wasn't too bad, not noticible unless on freeway speeds. They just re-aligned it and it is straight as an arrow now. No drilling, no nothing. It is your call, but I would wait and see what they have to do to fix it first. If it is a easily corrected problem, it should be fine.

mosconiac

Established Member
Jpetre: I've been down this road too. See the following post....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18436

Have the dealer perform the SSM mentioned in the above post and take another test drive. You can then determine whether to pass on it or not. If it still pulls hard, pass.

The thing to remember though is that these cars will follow every contour of the road. You must judge whether the pull exhibited is/was due to the wide tires or a manufacturing fault.

Before the SSM, my '03 would pull hard right on crowns to the right and slightly right on crowns to the left. Therfore, it definitely had a fault of pulling to the right.

After the SSM, it seems pretty well balanced. It still favors the right a bit but nothing like before.

Good luck, be patient, Mosconiac

Last edited:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I'd love to drive one of these cars that "pulls".

JT

I agree, my 03 was one\is of them. There was a post on here a couple of weeks back where someone typed out the realignment numbers. Sorry, I searched and came up with nothing.

When I brought my car in for the ds issue, I had them check the alignment...well, the right rear toe, among other things was showing at -.30 and the specs. for it are .05 to .20. The service dept., got it to .03, where they then stated that they would have to re-drill the camber plates:bash: .

Now, I agree that you read something and are immediately tuned into it and think that it is happeneing to you. For example, I read on BON where someone was hearing a tic from their engine. I immediately heard the tick and was again fearful that something had gone wrong. Upon further investigation, it was\is just the boost valve releasing pressure.

Again, I know the frustration that a lot of you all are having, just be patient and it will all work out...hopefully.

Good luck and drive safe.
Chris
:beer:

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Concerning the pull...Refer to special sevice bulletin #16167:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread