It's going to drive me nuts

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Well I installed my Spec stage 1 the other day and the chatter is going to drive me nuts. It's not too bad when taking off normally but when trying to slip the clutch a little to inch forward in traffic it is terrible. It's gotten better but it's still annoying as hell. I know this is a worthless post but I had to vent.

But, the pedal effort is great. It's much lighter than my old King Cobra was.

WarrenB

Established Member
I feel your pain brother!!! I have a spec and that combined with my tko 600 makes for some awful road noise.

mystical

Established Member
white98snake said:
yea im still breaking in my Stage 3, it only chatters when goin in reverse tho
how many mile u have on ur new clutch

Unless you are making serious power(600rwhp+), that stage 3 is overkill for your car and will prematurely eat your tranny away.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
+1 on that. Spec clutches kill trannies. I use a Centerforce Dual-Friction II and there is NO chatter, feels stock, and grabs and holds strong.

davidj5491

Established Member
I've got a Spec 1 and it did the same thing for a while. It finally stopped, but it took a lot longer than the 450 mile break in that they recommend.

cgriff97cobra

I HATE DEER
Established Member
mystical said:
Unless you are making serious power(600rwhp+), that stage 3 is overkill for your car and will prematurely eat your tranny away.

I just want to know how you figure that. I am not making close to 600hp in my 97 which has a spec stage 3 and has never had a problem and it has 138000 miles on her, and I have always had spec clutches. I think the drivers are prematurely eat the tranny away!!!

Oh by the way CY98Cobra, be patient it will go away or get better one.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
It's getting better already, just ready for it to be gone.

I also don't see the point in getting a stage 3+ if you don't need it. I want a clutch that will let go before my tranny.

Not trying to criticize just wondering why you would want a clutch for 600 hp.

cgriff97cobra

I HATE DEER
Established Member
Well me personally I want what I pay for and I rather be safe than sorry. I just like the comfort of have room to play with. I mean if it is rated for 600hp and some odd number of Tq (more than I have) Then I will have no problems launching my car on slicks at 4500rpms with a 100shot of nitrous.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Nothing wrong with the King Cobra, it was actually a great clutch. I'd just heard alot of good things about Spec so I decided to give it a try.

I would recommend a King Cobra to anybody. The only real downside is the heavy pedal. It never bothered me but the difference between the two is quite noticeable.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
is the pedal heavier than the stocker?

i just bought a Valeo clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and tool for $100 shipped. brand new in the box.
btw, did you have any problems with the valeo t.o. bearing? or is that actually a factory replacement?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The King Cobra pedal is quite a bit heavier than a stocker. The Spec clutch is comparable to the stock clutch in my GF's 99 GT.

$100 shipped is a great deal.

I'm not sure if it's a Ford throwout bearing that's included with the King Cobra. I put a Spec TOB in when I swapped trannies (didn't change clutches) and it only lasted a year. That's the reason I decided to go ahead and put in the Spec I've had lying around, I had to replace the TOB. Make sure it's a Ford TOB before installing it.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I drove my friend's '03 Cobra with the Stage 3 in it and stalled it out coming out of first. Man that thing is STIFF and chatters like a MOFO!!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Badass: I'm not sure if the TOB has a part number or logo. I didn't really pay any attention to mine when I put it in. Might go to the dealership and ask to see one so you can compare.

Casper: I would think the Stage 3 is stiff, I was talking about the pedal effort on my Stage 1.

Users who are viewing this thread